They offer different flash templates with latest features.
Login

Forgot password
Register
Back

A wizard that will let you customize your desktop before you start using it

Created 8 years ago, edited 8 years ago.
Author:

Alexio
Considered
  Score:
125 votes
Idea:

Configure every aspect of your desktop, including mouse behavior, desktop search, Wireless connection, updates, the default theme, the positioning of the panel and the layout of the Mint Menu. Use only a single, simple configuration screen.

Comments:

6 years ago

cdustybk
I think the best option would be to add the option to the start screen. I mean the point of the start screen is to be a "launch pad" for the first run of the system anyway, so the whole concept goes together.

There could be a "Start configuration wizard" tile on the start screen. If one wishes to ignore it, it looks no different that the current implementation with the exception of one button on the start screen. However, it would at the same time please those that want the configuration wizard. Personally, I HATE the start screen, but I would actually use it if it had this added to it.

6 years ago

Mad-Cow
I think a half way option could be good, with some choices such as mate or cinnamon, but not the most details.  
7 years ago

blueXrider
Rejected but still important. Could have an optional "configure yourself" screen.  
7 years ago

kazztan0325
I like this idea, but @clem said "This goes against our philosophy", then "Mei2 Ban4 fa".

7 years ago

fenerbahce
It is a good idea.i saw this configuration while i was installing Pardus Linux...  
8 years ago

clem
This goes against our philosophy, which is to:

- ask the least questions as possible (set things with good default values..i.e. make the right decisions for most people)
- make it easy for people to change individual things post-install.

Marking this idea as rejected.

8 years ago

Gabor
It could be made part of the welcome screen, take it or leave it.  
8 years ago

ichat
just create some sort of tweakubuntu- mint-edition and either add it to the default install or just to the repository  
8 years ago

gotjazz
hrm yeah why not - i like how pardus does that with their welcome program called kaptan.....  
8 years ago

thx1138
It doesn't sound very newbee friendly.  
8 years ago

farnaby
I don't like this idea, because it just lengthens the installation time. I like the mint standard configuration and usually keep most of it. People who prefer to customise their Desktop in every aspect are going to find their way quickly through GNOME/KDE/Xfce.  
8 years ago

Silent_Warrior
I agree on the idea of a portable configuration. But, to be honest, this sounds like just having Gnome Control-center (or KDE System settings, XFCE-ditto, etc.) automatically start on first boot. Hm, or maybe a customized variant where only the suggested modules are shown.  
9 years ago

squishy
A save preferences option might be a useful thing at that

9 years ago

heltonbiker
It could be saved to a file, and imported on another computer running Mint or even Ubuntu.  

Other ideas from Alexio