They offer different flash templates with latest features.
Login

Forgot password
Register
Back

Add Desura to Mint for gaming.

Created 7 years ago, edited 7 years ago.
Status changed 7 years ago
Author:

quake0
Selected
  Score:
29 votes
Idea:

Add Desura to Mint for gaming. Gaming is a linux weakness. Desura is a linux alternative to steam.

http://www.desura.com/

Comments:

4 years ago

richie2103
if the linux mint teem con make it more compatble for wow and gw ect. as well address the Quick books compadailty things it would become a why use windows at all as it is love mint 17 most of all  
6 years ago

salvo1118
I have both Steam and Desura for Mint 14 Cinnamon (64-bit) but I have to say that Steam for Linux has very few games and that Desura has a lot of stuff Steam doesn't have and may never have because it supports smaller independent developers. +1 for Desura all the way.

I've already discovered stuff on there that's not on Steam. There's also a lot of fun free demos that help you decide if you even want to buy.

6 years ago

quake0
I don't like my own idea any more. Steam is the way to go from this point on.  
6 years ago

Alexio
@quake0 - The "Selected" status is explained in the Processing ideas on the Linux Mint Community website article.  
6 years ago

quake0
what does Selected Status mean?  
6 years ago

quake0
Screw this Idea I made. I want steam!  
6 years ago

urbaindepuce
Would be a nice thing, they have a bunch of nice games to offer. Some free, some for 5 - 10 credits. I am happy to pay that price for a good game. Developers put a lot of work into their software. It's only fair to give them something for it.  
6 years ago

quake0
I my self now want steam installed by default instead of Desura.  
6 years ago

quake0
Hi Mintification. I made this idea before steam Linux client was confirmed. I made an other idea to add Steam instead, but it seems most people want an open source alternative instead. As a result Desura has higher votes then steam.  
6 years ago

Mintification
Hi @quake0, I'm not a gamer myself, but I believe Steam is coming to Linux :)  
6 years ago

mikefreeman
@Emil89: If you're not supporting something because it might not be devoted to free software only, then perhaps you need to drop Mint altogether, as it includes proprietary software (Flash, codecs, etc.). Maybe move to Debian. RMS would thank you! ;)

To be honest, I personally have never understood why this is even a problem. It is a non-issue. Both free software and proprietary software have their place, and Mint/Linux shouldn't shy away from any of it.

7 years ago

quake0
The biggest weakness of desktop linux is the lack of modern games. This is the next best this to steam native on linux.  
7 years ago

quake0
I we wanted to install it our selfs we would use default ubuntu. Mints about polish out of the box.  
7 years ago

blueXrider
if it is in the software repository it is available to the user but not the responsibility of Mint to include it in the operating system nor its distro  
7 years ago

quake0
They have both free and closed source games, if I am not mistaken.  
7 years ago

Emil89
Before I can vote in favor of this, I need to know what Desura's stance on proprietary software is. I can't find any statements about it on their website. I don't want to support non-free software, so I only support this idea if Desura is a free software gaming platform (I don't mind paying for the development of software, though).  

Other ideas from quake0