They offer different flash templates with latest features.
Login

Forgot password
Register
Back

Grub Wizard

Created 7 years ago, edited 7 years ago.
Status changed 5 years ago
Author:

j0lt
Selected
  Score:
315 votes
Idea:

I am new in Linux world, but I'm getting more and more interested as development continues.

What I would really like to see in future versions is a neat GUI based wizard for editing your Grub menu.

I find it a bit annoying, because I am still a newbie, that I have to manually change files in order to, both remove unused entries plus still setting Windows as main OS until I get more and more used to Mint and hopefully switch over some day.

I think also many first-timers find this annoying, because they want to test it out, but still want to roll back within their safety net (Windows).

This GUI Wizard shouldn't be that difficult nor hold many settings.
Being able to:
- Check which entries should be visible
- Ability to move entries up and down for visual presentation
- Edit count down delay etc.

[x] Linux Mint 8
[ ] Linux Mint 8 (fail safe mode)
[ ] Memtest
[X] Windows XP Professional

I would also like this to be part of the installation process. The installer scans drives anyway for the Partitioner. Then after setting up partitions you could get presented with this Grub Wizard and with a few clicks your machine will boot the way you want.

Comments:

2 years ago

bernd-wechner
This sort of exists.

apt search grub-customizer

2 years ago

winemaker9
Check out "grub-customizer"
https://launchpad.net/~danielrichter2007/+archive/ubuntu/grub-customizer

I think you'll find it does everything you want plus. I've been using it since grub2 came about.

2 years ago

maxgeek333
Add boot-repair is a good idea !  
2 years ago

Kobalt
I'm new to Linux Mint, too. Absolutely agree to idea starter.  
2 years ago

randysvh
No doubt GRUB was much easier and simpler to use then GRUB2, but I have found a great need for a gui to the full grub functionality especially to re-establish the grub boot menu when for whatever reason when the grub boot is broken.

Side note I love my Mint MATE and install it on many of my customer systems to help simplify their computing. Wish there was an upgrade process to the newer systems when the current installed version is out of date!

4 years ago

pazuzuthewise
I agree with @bimsebasse - Grub Customizer should be included in the live image, it would help restore the bootloader if it gets overwritten.  
4 years ago

galen
this could be marked as grub2 (the bootloader dominatrix)

5 years ago

DavidMitchelStow
Perhaps this could be done with a tweak of super-boot-manager? Ease of use and installation along with configurability is what draws me to linux, plus the fact that if you break it, there is help, and you can also re-install it without having to prove again that you bought it. Yes, great idea!  
5 years ago

quake0
I like this idea!  
5 years ago

oscar799
I'm marking software inclusion requests as "Considered" and forwarding them to Clem  
6 years ago

bimsebasse
Grub Customizer does everything the idea author asks for. A solution would be to just have that installed by default (or use it as a base for a Mint grub program).  
6 years ago

sunewbie
if i remember ubuntu tweak helps to change boot order. Sometimes when the grub is updated, GUI pops up.  
6 years ago

madwoollything
It would be great to have a mint version of 'grub customiser' that worked on any flavour of mint, including LMDE.  
6 years ago

blueXrider
I was looking at what @Alexio wrote but came up with this issue.

Proxy Error

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
The proxy server could not handle the request GET /~u88005282/sum/screenshots.html.

Reason: DNS lookup failure for: u88005282.pwww.webhosting.telia.com

Apache/2.2.3 (Red Hat) Server at web.telia.com Port 80

No issues now it's been a year or so

6 years ago

McLovin
There is a GUI tool for Grub, startup-manager, just look for it in Synaptic. Though it does not provide advanced options, it does allow you set the resolution, default os, and timeout.  
6 years ago

Gurman
In addition it would be nice to have a boot mode without menus. To the menu displayed only on request. As in Win.  
6 years ago

SamHoratio
You many also want to check out Burg.
It's basically a more flexible and fancier Grub.

http://www.unixmen.com/linux-tutorials/linux-distributions/linux-distributions4-ubuntu/1679-how-to-install-burg-in-ubuntu-

6 years ago

greg84pl
Startup manager is very easy to use. Now is include in Mint as standard aplication.  
6 years ago

AngelGR
StartUp manager is included in Mint's config panel (and it's good enough for me).  
6 years ago

OneDragon
I would also love to see Grub2 go back to the way I could configure the original Grub, a simple textfile where everything I needed was easy to access.  
6 years ago

M_onkeyman
Yeah, I'd really appreciate a Grub editor; going and messing with the grub config files is kinda risky, in my opinion.  
6 years ago

nigelbird
Grub Customizer gets my vote.......with a minty flavour.  
6 years ago

asedt
You can do most those things with the GUI StartUp-Manager in the Control Center. For me what I can change with that is enough.  
6 years ago

mikeybaby72
DITCH GRUB2 - Go back to GRUB (legacy) because it's NOT only better but it ALWAYS works as well as being easy to configure.

PS. LOVE the Distro! \o/ ;-)

6 years ago

LMUCS
Its a good thing.
Maybe we can use this:
https://launchpad.net/~danielrichter2007/+archive/grub-customizer

For me it is good enough, but it dont look minty

6 years ago

marnix
I like this idea OK. It may not be easy, but it sounds quite worthwhile.

Lots of references to startupmanager here. I didn't know about it. The man page is about as bare bones as you can get. I tried it on my Julia mint system and it failed with a GLib-GIO error after complaining that Usplash and Splashy were not detected. Apparently not all the parts are there. The last line I got was:

GLib-GIO:ERROR:/build/buildd/glib2.0-2.26.0/gio/gdbusconnection.c:2270:initable_init: assertion failed: (connection->initialization_error == NULL)

6 years ago

bunty-arnab
(sarcastic)Wow!! Even these Ideas do get points!!
Startup Manager can manage these things with ease.

6 years ago

TJGeezer
On a clean reinstall of Min 10 over Mint 9, the grub-install routine changed my boot partition, in my BIOS, without even asking me. Result was the grub repair prompt and a notice that 'token_xputs' couldn't be found.

Mikeb's comment is on the money.

Luckily an outside blog entry ion this error pointed me to the BIOS where I restored the original setting. Problem fixed. But changing a machine's BIOS settings without asking is beyond rude. It's reckless, even malware-worthy.

The simple fix would be to ask before changing a user's BIOS. On a dual-boot system with multiple drives, cavalierly changing such a basic entry is a poor way to treat users. A Grub Wizard could fix the problem.

Great idea.

6 years ago

mikeb
StartupManager is useful as a bad example of tokenism, but not much else.  
6 years ago

keyneom
+1 for having it in the install process... I think as an advanced option would be good, that way wee don't get people too confused if they are unfamiliar, but that way if you know what you're doing you can get things setup right from the start instead of having to boot up and make the edit but maybe thats just me being lazy. Then again that's what most people want... to be able to be lazy with their OS.  
7 years ago

shoo_ash
> StartupManager is included by default. WTF?
+1

7 years ago

tpapastylianou
Thanks to Tracerneo for his suggestion, I now have a complete graphical boot system, configured with just the options I want to, and a nice graphical bootscreen to boot (heh).

Check it out: http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/3166/screenshotcu.png

The process was mostly straightforward from the link Tracerneo gave ( http://www.sourceslist.eu/blog/linux-blog/burg-manager-installing-and-configuring-burg-has-never-been-so-easy/ ), except for a small glitch witch tool me quite a bit of trial and error messing about in the config files to fix, so I'll try and post a tutorial on how to complete the whole process here (look it up on my profile).
(the glitch was that the nice linux mint 'from freedom came elegance' graphical logo that comes up after the boot process was replaced with a text version and some ugly verbose instructions littering the screen at the end. I wanted mine 100% graphical all the way throughout)

I would agree with the spirit of the thread in general, that a boot manager like this would be great as the default, or at least as an option at installation, it makes all the difference showing a nice bootscreen like this to your friends when you're showcasing linux, as opposed to an ascii menu (whether it has a background or not). The way mine works now looks even better than the 'shiny' Mac boot manager!

7 years ago

Porterhouse_01
Well j0lt... you've hit the nail right on the head. All it needs is a simple text based menu-driven boot manager where you can reveal, hide, enable, disable, promote, demote, re-label lines, etc. A GUI would be very nice but for the purists - a text version is the best starting point. I can't see anyone objecting to that. Surely to goodness one of the developers can knock up something basic to do this - especially given that GRUB2 isn't even finalised yet. I thought GRUB was bad until GRUB2 came along - at least you only had to edit one file to modify the menu. I myself always have several flavours of linux on my laptop (DME 32bit, Mint 64bit, Peppermint-ICE, etc)..PLUS windozzze still...for the odd occasion (spit!). But as other have said - the absence of something even basic, compared with the snazzy windozze equivalent is REALLY limiting to Linux Mint being adopted by more users. Basically it boils down to this...the Linux boot menu is too complicated for my wife who is a techno phobic PE Teacher not a computer nerd...but she can boot a multi-boot Windozze laptop quite happily...and that's not the message we want to be sending out about Linux, is it ?

7 years ago

Dogcatcher
Startup Manager is better than nothing, but not by much. It really is an inferior product.

Take a look at the GRUB configuration editors included with most versions of the KDE desktop and you'll see what should be included in any distro that uses GRUB. The editor included in OpenSUSE's YaST may be the best of the bunch.

Basically, the editor needs to be able to add, delete, and change the sequence of menu entries. It must also be able to modify the paramaters of each entry, and be able to specify where the boot code will be placed.

It is absolutely absurd at this stage in the development of Linux that users have to manually edit the GRUB configuration file. Particularly so when many distros already include good GUI editors for GRUB.

7 years ago

penguinuser
Doesn't Mint already have this?  
7 years ago

peileppe
Another +1 for StartUp Manager  
7 years ago

punkrtekk
Start-up manager is good enough. If I would improve something about GRUB, it is a better GUI (the best could be implement that to Start-up manager itself) for changing your boot splash screen (in Mint's case plymouth)...  
7 years ago

Tracerneo
Try Burg-Manager - http://www.sourceslist.eu/blog/linux-blog/burg-manager-installing-and-configuring-burg-has-never-been-so-easy/

You can disable showing recovery mode entries, edit count down delay, change theme, etc. Bootloader is based on Grub2.

7 years ago

13thSlayer
StartupManager is included by default. WTF?  
7 years ago

Joeasaurus
Another +1 for StartUp Manager  
7 years ago

DJCrashdummy
once again: Startup Manager does nearly all these things for you! --> really good decision installing it by default in Mint 9!!! - some time ago when i was a real newbie to linux i searched for hours to finally find Startup Manager! :-)

by the way: i liked grub1 (looks nicer) and the startupmanager (more options) in Mint 7 more than now in Mint 9!

7 years ago

SxFlare
The only thing I'd change in start up manager is to maybe have a refresh to reload the bootable options, instead of "update-grub" command.
or maybe even an updateable listbox for manual changing and updating.
Or both, hahah

7 years ago

AgingTechnogeek
As mentioned, Startup Manager already is installed by default in Mint 9 and works well. The only request Startup Manager will not fill is changing presentation order in Grub Menu, otherwise it is exactly the tool asked for here. If enough users feel that the additional capability is needed, add it. I'm happy with Startup Manager as it is.  
7 years ago

ekric
I really want back old version of 'Startupmanager' and 'Login window'

http://www.linuxmint-hispano.com/foro/?/topic,2502.msg33297.html#msg33297

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-install-gdm-gnome-display-manager-theme-in-ubuntu.html

7 years ago

DragonTrainer
A wizard capable of editing/fixing grub is a very, very neat idea.
I like it. Also, this tool should be in the LiveCD/DVD, for fixing our grub if for any reason we mess up.

7 years ago

thx1138
Add (an improved) pysdm to grub wizard and you get an unique system master tool with a gui.
Hey, startupmanager can change the order of entries in grub, but it doesn't do any real editing.
Instead of doing basic editing in config files with terminal comands or opening some files with an editor there is a way to do many root changes inside a general app.

BTW: MintStartUp sounds nice for that tool ;).

7 years ago

fernbap
sudo grub-install /dev/sda
sudo update-grub

Done

7 years ago

baffle-boy
there sure is a lot of posts about this, but be happy! because startupmanager (exactly what you are asking for) has been included in mint 9!  
7 years ago

anyoneelse
have the same opinion with Rovanion.(a GRUB editor/reinstaller on the grub of LiveCD)
That would be really good. But on it, there should be an option to do this in auto way.

7 years ago

justin
As mentioned, such an item already exists and it is called startupmanager. It does work for grub2.  
7 years ago

JMMR
There is one out there supported by Ubuntu called Startup Manager, Open the terminal and input 'sudo apt-get install startupmanager' After that in the terminal input 'sudo startupmanager' or go to the Control Center. I have used it for Grub 2.  
7 years ago

CarrotNL
I would like a interface with wich i could configure grub2 too.  
7 years ago

taricate
Yep, some grub "tool" :) would be nice !  
7 years ago

Rovanion
Many users break their GRUB because they install Windows or other operating systems after GRUB, so including a GRUB editor/reinstaller on the LiveCD is a great idea.  
7 years ago

pokemoncatdog
A one click reinstall of grub would be nice. Just boot live cd, click reinstall grub, grub will automatically reinstall, find all partitions, os's, and setup the menu for you and DONE. Came on GRBU /grub2 is not even on the live cd for linux mint 8.

The following dose not work when using the linux mint 8 cd.

sudo grub -----> I get error grub not installed try apt install grub or someting like that.
find /boot/grub/stage1 ----> after apt install stage1 can not be found.
root (hd?,?) ------> must know what partition to use.
setup (hd0) -----> must know what drive to use.
quit ----> no error just exits/quits the terminal

A one click reinstall were be way better for the past windows user.

7 years ago

heltonbiker
Never forget the possibility to install Windows virtually on VirtualBox (freely downloadable .deb from Sun Microsystems and on the repos, I think). It is not perfect, as neither is Wine, but I made a "forced" switch-over 4 months ago and think it's much easier, most the time, to learn things again and keep fully on Linux than maintain a Windows dependence too long. Super Grub Disk is also a VERY useful and user-friendly tool (which doesn't avoit the need for some study on boot managers).  
7 years ago

Alexio
SUM is available at http://web.telia.com/~u88005282/sum/screenshots.html  
7 years ago

remoulder
StartupManager already allows you to do this, though it hasn't yet been updated for grub2  
7 years ago

Alexio
Get Super Grub Disk from http://www.supergrubdisk.org to make sure you have a way to boot your installs if something goes wrong. It will boot your Linux install if everything else fails.  
7 years ago

Mdyter
i would like it much too  

Other ideas from j0lt

No other ideas.