What about Zram?

metash
  9 years ago
  Considered

I've been using Zram on Mint 11 and 12 with some low spec hardware such less then 512 mb of ram, and it really improves overall performance.
Maybe you should considerate to give even more speed to the LXDE version of Mint.
Thanks.
Latest comments
metash 9 years ago

Does anybody knows if Zram has any special improvement on machines with a larger stack of ram, o they can also be beneficiary with this?

metash 9 years ago

Well, no everybody in Latin American countries doesn't have updated hardware, and it can be an option I think for those who can't afford some ram/new processor. I have installed in the last days Mint in some legacy pc's that had modified XP versions, and they run Mint so much good combined with the Zram installation. Well, its just my suggestion for Mint LXDE to be even more faster and efficient in most old/low resources hardware.

kazztan0325 9 years ago

@blueXrider:

The package 'zramswap-enabler' is included in 'elementary-os /daily' PPA for oneiric too.
That is to say, it would be useful for Ubuntu and Ubuntu based distro to enable zRam on low spec machine, I think.

blueXrider 9 years ago

Thats what it is intended to do. But lets face it the majority of users have more RAM than 512mb installed. If this were the norm then those folks running anything after 10.04 would surely be screaming because their machine would sorely be lacking in performance. Let alone the issues with 3D. zRam has it place but it doesn't need to be included in the Mint Distros. If this were the case don't you think that Fedora, Ubuntu and Suse would have done it already?

kazztan0325 9 years ago

I also have used 'zram' before, and I agree with this idea.

There is an article about 'zram' here:
"INCREASED PERFORMANCE IN LINUX WITH ZRAM (VIRTUAL SWAP COMPRESSED IN RAM)"