Add Anomos an Anonymous,Encrypted BitTorrent Client to Linux Mint Software Bundle

ASmith
  8 years ago
  Selected

Given the goose stepping actions recently by the US DOJ, Congress and Senators pushing the US Internet Censoring legislation bills SOPA,PIPA it is inherent on Internet users to be fully aware of 100s of US laws,jurisdiction and how far reaching those proposed laws would reach.

Recently, popular MSNBC commentator Rachel Maddow allegedly pointed out that Internet Online Anti-Piracy political sponsors Dennis Ross, Roy Blunt allegedly STOLE Internet Photos,Images THEMSELVES! Of course no one expects federal agents to swoop into the homes and offices of Ross nor Blunt seizing their servers and computers. However,such a pass could hardly be expected to occur with YOU. Remember not realizing the photo,image or file was copyrighted is no excuse nor defense in the eyes of the US Dept.Of Justice.

I am certainly not advocating sharing copyrighted materials in a manner which could be construed as breaking some US law.

I am however advocating that forcing US and Global Nations Internet users to learn and confirm to 100s of arcane and at times entirely hidden USA laws is absurd and nearly impossible to comply with as well as conform entirely to.

Anomos is a small free and open source Anonymous, Encrypted stand-alone BitTorrent Client which is a step in helping provide a needed barrier to masking file content thru USA DNS servers, masking the users ID and helps to relieve the burden of being forced into the role of Internet Policeman by the US DOJ agents on USA Internet DNS servers and ISP providers.

Adding Anomos to the bundled Linux Mint software install packaging would help provide Linux Mint users with this extra layer of protection as well as further promote .atorrent (anonymous,encrypted) torrent files as more demand is led to .atorrent based files.

Reference:

Anomos http://anomos.info/wp/
Anomos is:

Anonymous, Encrypted BitTorrent
Free and Open Source Software – No Ads, No Spyware
A Standalone Client – No Background Services
Easy To Use
Available for Windows, GNU/Linux and OSX

"Anomos is a pseudonymous, encrypted multi-peer-to-peer file distribution protocol. It is based on the peer/tracker concept of BitTorrent in combination with an onion routing anonymization layer, with the added benefit of end-to-end encryption. By combining these technologies, we have created a platform where by no party outside of the trusted tracker will have any information about who a peer is or what they are downloading."

"Anomos is designed to be easy to use – you won’t even be aware of the security that it provides. Anybody who is already familiar with BitTorrent won’t have to do anything differently, other than use ‘atorrent’ files rather than ‘torrent’ files."
Latest comments
JayClericus 6 years ago

Please Note: Anomos is an experimental anonymity protocol. It has not yet undergone the serious peer-review necessary to consider it safe for general use.

suggest it would be not good at the present time

quake0 7 years ago

I tryed using this on both windows xp and linx mint lxde 12. Its way to hard to set up. I would love if mint did the work of installing this for me. Thats just about the only way I would use this.

quake0 7 years ago

I am voting for this now. This is a must have for me.

ASmith 8 years ago

Posted on May 18, 2008 in by admin "Anomos is an experimental anonymity protocol. It has not yet undergone the serious peer-review necessary to consider it safe for general use. Do not rely on it for strong anonymity".

That was FOUR YEARS AGO. Many thousands of people have since looked at, inspected, sniffed, downloaded and used the Anomos encrypted, anonymous .atorrent protocol. Which is now available for Windows, MacOS and Linux operating systems.

March 2012:
uTorrent for Windows Forum:
Add anomos protocol in utorrent clients, Idea bank for uTorrent
10,883 YES VOTES, 279 Current Comments stating 'Do It'
http://utorrentideas.uservoice.com/forums/47263-µtorrent-for-windows/suggestions/715120-add-anomos-protocol-in-utorrent

My Geek Opinion Webmaster, Guide to Technology
http://mygeekopinions.blogspot.com/2011/04/anomos-simple-yet-highly-secure-bit.html

"if all you need is a well protected Bittorrent client, then I highly recommend Anomos, which can be downloaded for Windows, Mac OSX and GNU Linux as well".

From the very informed folks of Null-Byte
How to Completely Mask & Anonymize Your BitTorrent Traffic Using Anomos

No possible way would Null-Byte recommend Anomos if they didn't already entirely feel it was bullet proof, plus in this article Null Byte shows how to easily combine the Free Anomos protocol with the Free Tor Network to totally Mask & Anonymize your BitTorrent traffic. Written Dec. 2011.

http://null-byte.wonderhowto.com/blog/completely-mask-anonymize-your-bittorrent-traffic-using-anomos-0131925/

Again quake0 that opening statement by the Anomos development team was made back in 2008, the uTorrent forum positive comments (+279) and vote (+10,883) are Current 2012. Since that initial 2008 statement, Anomos has since been ported to Windows, MacOS, and is available to Mint Users in the Synaptic Package.

quake0 8 years ago

Anomos is an experimental anonymity protocol. It has not yet undergone the serious peer-review necessary to consider it safe for general use. Do not rely on it for strong anonymity.

That alone means I am voting it down. Maybe at a later time when this is proven to work I will vote for it. As of now I will demote this.

ASmith 8 years ago

Thank You oscar799 for your time and consideration in adding,marking my suggestion of Anomos to Clem to the Linux Mint software bundle.

The reasons why I feel the non-centralized, anonymous and encrypted Anomos bitTorrent client would be a valuable addition to Linux Mint software has been outlined in my original posting on this.

One of the biggest roadblocks for a wider use of Anomos has been the needed number of Anomos users which would make this bitTorrent client more mainstream and break thru the unknown or unavailable threshold. The only way to do that is in a bundled software package for a larger user base which would be ideal for the Mint Community. While the sourcecode is listed in sourceforge, the lack of sheer numbers of users has prevented Tranmission bitTorrent clients and other bitTorrent application developers from designing a add-on to fully implement that protocol resulting in a offering of the encrypted .atorrent file formats.

ASmith 8 years ago

Thanks remoulder for your question and comment.

The global case against MegaUpload was triggered by the goose stepping US Dept. of Justice because one of the cloud servers was located in the State of Virginia. The rest and vast majority were all overseas, many of the administrators were non-Americans as well. Nearly all were rounded up overseas,their homes,autos,bank accounts, 50 Million dollars worth of overseas IT equipment, servers were seized and 18 domains (including those in foreign nations) were also seized and taken down by the US Dept.of Justice.

All of those foreigners who operated MegaUpload in New Zealand, Hong Kong and other nations are now facing a possible 50 YEAR US federal prison sentence.

Why shouldn't you care?

USA is trying to become the Global Internet Policeman of the World, those like Spain who have objected were point blank threatened as outlined by a Wikileaks US State Dept. Cable that was released to the public.

What is at stake here is the integrity and future of cloud servers.

2nd or 3rd party Encrypted files being stored removes the burden of the server administration being charged with 'knowing' those files were copyright protected or not. The Anonymous,Encrypted BitTorrent Client Anomos provides another Onion Barrier being that of Anonymous transfers which again removes the burden of the server administration being threatened, extorted or dragged into court by the FBI or NSA agents to produce the IP address's of the file downloaders.

Remoulder, you should realise FBI,NSA agents have demanded such lists nearly routinely now, not only from USA IP providers,but foreign nations IP providers, DNS server staff, Search Engine CEO's etc. It is also routine for those agents to make very serious threats if their wide-open demands are not successful and very, very few CEO's much less corporate managers refuse such demands after those threats have been uttered to them.

remoulder 8 years ago

Why should the rest of the world have to worry about the fallacies of US politicians?

ASmith 8 years ago

Thanks crispytown,wish you'd cast a vote on this idea.

I also use Transmission for my linux mint handling of non- .atorrent files (.torrent) however I use and suggest others shift Transmissions preference setting to >Edit >Preferences >Privacy toggle to 'Require Encryption' which locks out IP's, and Seeder/Peers information which could be sniffed by your IPS, DNS servers inbetween or routing those .torrent files to you.

Anomos also gives anyone the ability to encrypt a standard existing .torrent file to its .atorrent encrypted format which entirely bypasses a IPS, DNS server sniffing what that file actually is.

crispytown 8 years ago

Thanks for the tip. I already use transmission and find Anomos is available through Synaptic. Your post, however, spread the awareness of the existence this client. Thanks.