Change startup splash screen

Thisisme
  7 years ago
  Implemented

There seems to be no way to change this quite dull and ugly splash screen at startup (or logon)!
Let us have a choice or even a possibility to make our own.
Latest comments
OperantIssue 6 years ago

I tend to think the pure black screen is a mistake. It's replacing some information (the boot messages) with none, and makes getting bug reports difficult.

It'd be better to try and get those boot messages to the screen and presented in a reasonably pleasant way.

RayWoods 7 years ago

@vincentv this should be as standard, not an extra!

sunewbie 7 years ago

refer clem's comment on #21 on latest blog post on blog.linuxmint.com

Edit by Clem: Just a brief answer (because that’s off-topic). We’re still not happy with Plymouth in terms of splash artwork. It looks great on some machines and horrible on others. With a black splash, we don’t achieve as much eye candy of course but at least we get a decent looking boot sequence for everybody. For this reason Mint 13 is likely to boot in black. With that said, we’ll consider putting a Mint splash in the repository for people to install.

sunewbie 7 years ago

I like this idea, but Clem in blog comments has said that bank screen is much standard then boot splash screen.

So I think this will be taken as request to re-consider using splash screen like(Loading ... )

jose_manuel 7 years ago

Really an Excellent Idea, to return the screen with points and the name looked to boot Linux Mint 10. I Promote this Idea !!!!

raneern99 7 years ago

I agree with the fact that the blank screen can scare new users. It actually delayed my usage of Linux Mint by about a month because I was afraid that there was something wrong with it (it takes about a minute to boot from a live cd on my computer, which is pretty modern). Granted, that was paranoia from a bad experience with the pure debian squeeze installer (which can't connect to WPA/WPA 2 password protected networks), but it still worried me when my screen was blank for the longest time. After it's installed though, it's not too bad. It could still slightly scare newbies, though. For the record, the fastest boot time I've ever seen was on a distro with a boot splash (but that wasn't because of the boot splash).

RayWoods 7 years ago

@vincentv, I don't think many people are interested in an animated screen, just something which tells you everything is okay, which blank-black doesn't. Even Window's death screen was blue with some writing on it.

Now with a blank-black screen who knows what is happening? The simple phrase "System loading..." says it all. Yes we could use different colours too; how long will that take, even using an interpreted computer language!

kazztan0325 7 years ago

I am waiting for the response from @vincentv ...

Are you too busy in the Forums to reply to my question, @vincentv ?

RayWoods 7 years ago

I would personally consider 10 seconds too be far to long for a blank screen, even two seconds with "nothing" happening is too long. Mind you @vincentv, I don't know what computer you are using but my start up times are still far longer than ten seconds.

You must remember, many people in this community can't afford the latest motherboards and microprocessors.

kazztan0325 7 years ago

@vincentv:
I would like to ask you...
Does your comment express your personal thought?, or express Mint Team's consensus?

kazztan0325 7 years ago

@LONNIEFUTURE:

I think we could change only Login screen with "Ubuntu Tweak", but we could not change Plymouth splash screen with it, if my memory is correct.

I use "Plymouth Manager" when I would like to change Plymouth.

LONNIEFUTURE 7 years ago

This can also be done with an older version of Ubuntu-Tweak.

kazztan0325 7 years ago

Hi @RayWoods ,
Thank you for your pointing out the core of issue to me.

I understood what you said, and I also think Mint should show splash screen or something by default while it is booting.

RayWoods 7 years ago

Hi @kazztan0325. Yes we know we can all install a splash screen for start up and shut down and the means of doing so can be found in the Tutorial pages. What we are saying is this should not be needed and should be installed by default, so even the most new of Linux Users, even the average Computer User will have, in this case, the reassurance of a splash screen. Linux Mint should be designed for basic Computer Users. Geeks can always change things as they want later.

kazztan0325 7 years ago

There is a workaround for 'Mint 12 Lisa'.
But this is an irregular way, so you should do this at your own risk.

[1] Add repository of 'Mint 11 katya' to "Software Sources" temporarily.

-1 Open "Software Sources".
-2 Click on "Other Software" tab.
-3 Click on "Add..." button.
-4 Input APT Line as below:

deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ katya main upstream import

-5 Click on "Add Source" button.
-6 Close "Software Sources".

[2] Reload repository then Install 'plymouth-theme-mint-logo' and 'plymouth-theme-mint-text' with "Synaptic Package Manager" or "Software Manager".
(Probably some packages would appear as Upgradable, but ignore them.)

[3] Tick off against katya's repository (or remove it) in "Other Software" of "Software Sources" after installation of the packages above.

[4] Reboot your PC.

[5] Plymouth splash screen of Mint would appear while booting.

chassum 7 years ago

Agree. First few seconds can be very important impression, especially for first time users.

RayWoods 7 years ago

I feel that the latest trend to having a blank screen on start up to be a mistake. Even a few seconds with nothing happening is far too long. A piece of text saying "System starting..." in the top left hand corner of the screen would be an improvement!