Log Manager

ulysses
  9 years ago
  Considered

Integrate in the future a configurable log manager.
The user should be able to easily determine what is logged and what is not. Should also turn off the logging to be possible.
This should increase the security of the system.
Latest comments
viking777 9 years ago

If you use a root text editor to edit /etc/rsyslog.conf and place a # symbol in front of any log files that you don't want to run, you will get what you desire. However most people would not want to do this so this idea is rejected.

ulysses 9 years ago

1. everyone can read them

2. therefore the manager
therefore the grouping

3. You can set up the protocols / grouping with special reference to
error messages

kazztan0325 9 years ago

Could you please particularly explain how the log of the entire system would invite security leak?

And I think it would be difficult for beginners to decide what should be logged / what do not need to be logged.

Precisely the contents of logs (especially Error Messages) are needed for Trouble Shooting when something problems occurred on system or apps.

ulysses 9 years ago

I assume that the log of the entire system can be regarded as a security leak.
The user decides whether logged or not.
The user decides what is logged.
The user does so simply by clicking.
The logs must be sensible summarized in the Log Manager.

I hope that this is helpful ..

kazztan0325 9 years ago

There are many log files in /var/log/.
e.g. syslog, auth.log, Xorg.0.log, ufw.log, etc...

But you just mention only 'security'.
What about System or Applications errors?

I have not understood your thoughts yet...

ulysses 9 years ago

Yes and no. Whether KDE or Gnome is perhaps not so very interesting. Both log viewer does not fit somehow to Mint.
Mint users wishing for a simple and easy to use system. That does not mean that the user is indifferent to the security (so I think).
But not everyone will spend a long time and patience to configure. Log files into groups, or simply by clicking on or off would increase the usability. Correspondingly described simply and clearly, everyone could adjust very easily and quickly the level of security he needed.

kazztan0325 9 years ago

Is this suggestion based on your experience when you used 'Log File Viewer'?

By the way, I myself think KDE's 'KSystemLog' is easier to manage log files than Gnome's 'Log File Viewer'.