Upload Hardware Info

Craig
  9 years ago
  Selected

I'd like to see the ability for people to be able to upload their hardware information logs - using the system profiler and benchmark within Linux Mint.
Latest comments
jimbzk 6 months ago

Host: jimmy-System-Product-Name Kernel: 4.15.0-51-generic x86_64 bits: 64
compiler: gcc v: 7.3.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.0.10
Distro: Linux Mint 19.1 Tessa base: Ubuntu 18.04 bionic
Machine:
Type: Desktop Mobo: ASUSTeK model: P5B-Deluxe v: Rev 1.xx serial:
BIOS: American Megatrends v: 1238 date: 09/30/2008
CPU:
Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core2 6600 bits: 64 type: MCP
arch: Core Merom rev: 6 L2 cache: 4096 KiB
flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 9599
Speed: 1600 MHz min/max: 1596/2394 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1600 2: 1600
Graphics:
Device-1: NVIDIA GF108 [GeForce GT 630] vendor: Micro-Star MSI
driver: nouveau v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0
Display: x11 server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: nouveau
unloaded: fbdev,modesetting,vesa resolution: 1280x1024~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: NVC1 v: 4.3 Mesa 18.2.8 direct render: Yes
Audio:
Device-1: Intel 82801H HD Audio vendor: ASUSTeK P5B driver: snd_hda_intel
v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0
Device-2: NVIDIA GF108 High Definition Audio vendor: Micro-Star MSI
driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.1
Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.15.0-51-generic
Network:
Device-1: Marvell 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet vendor: ASUSTeK
driver: sky2 v: 1.30 port: c800 bus ID: 02:00.0
IF: enp2s0 state: up speed: 100 Mbps duplex: full mac:
Device-2: Marvell 88E8001 Gigabit Ethernet vendor: ASUSTeK driver: skge
v: 1.14 port: e400 bus ID: 05:04.0
IF: enp5s4 state: down mac:
Device-3: Realtek RTL8187 Wireless Adapter type: USB driver: rtl8187
bus ID: 1-3:2
IF: wlx0015af05be38 state: down mac:
Drives:
Local Storage: total: 763.85 GiB used: 58.57 GiB (7.7%)
ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Seagate model: ST3320620AS size: 298.09 GiB
ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Seagate model: ST3500320AS size: 465.76 GiB
Partition:
ID-1: / size: 292.41 GiB used: 58.57 GiB (20.0%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda1
Sensors:
System Temperatures: cpu: 57.0 C mobo: N/A gpu: nouveau temp: 42 C
Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
Info:
Processes: 177 Uptime: 43m Memory: 3.85 GiB used: 1.63 GiB (42.2%)
Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 7.4.0 Shell: bash v: 4.4.19
inxi: 3.0.27

harmo 1 year ago

Good idea, hardware info must be true.

Mal-Hil 2 years ago

Great idea

sdibaja 2 years ago

enter this code in terminal: inxi -Fzx

Scotty2015 3 years ago

Would be good to standardize on a Profiler tool Like i-nex
this would make it much easier to assist linux users

Qf0007 3 years ago

This would be really good, especially with older hardware

whalake 3 years ago

I don't want it to be automatic but I would like to have the choice to do it at the press of 1 Button.

Sir_Douglas 4 years ago

Yes. I would like to be able to set that on automatic, if I choose to set it that way. But be able to turn off the automatic option, if I prefer to go manual. Or temporarily disable the whole thing.

numix 4 years ago

Most of the hardware info uploaded here is messy. This idea is brillaint.

Hammer459 4 years ago

Fine, assuming this is on opt-in basis. Nothing done automagically

zleap 4 years ago

I think this is a good idea as it really helps when trying to answer questions what hardware people are using.

zantaz 4 years ago

Hi @Craig I had mean it is useful for devolopers, You are right, but the privacy of all will be sure ? If it is : OK. Nice idea althoug ...

LarryAT 4 years ago

I'd like to see the machine-readable [XML (or JSON)] results saved in a dated file in a Known Location with an easy mechanism to (a) regenerate a current version and (b) attach the info a bug report. User's ability to inspect and prune the info tree could reduce the Big-Brother-ness feeling.
-- Larry

TATTVAMASI 4 years ago

It does not much care ..

And I think that I should to thank you - for your time and energy .. thanks ..y..

Craig 4 years ago

Hi @Zantaz. Thanks for the comment. :)

I think uploading of that sort of data is always in the hands of the end-user. I'm pretty sure the Linux Mint developers would welcome that hardware data by people who are giving the opportunity to upload (if they want too) were hardware information is most needed for computers that maybe need that extra bit of hardware support to run smoothly where is needed most.

I think the most important thing is it is highlighted and maybe information containing such feature implemented were it is best suited to highlight the availability of that feature.

The privacy issue, I understand, I think that it is only optional if your having issues with your particular hardware. Linux Mint works very well on a lot of computer systems but were care is needed a bit more that's were I'm sure the Linux Mint developers will handle matters of hardware evaluation and the information which comes from it with care.

The most important thing to remember with this idea though is ultimately 'you are in control' of whether you want to upload that information or not.

zantaz 4 years ago

@Craig , I knew You , You had to added to be my friend . But Your Idea it is right if can not infrange privacy ... and at now it is done ...

Wombatacus 4 years ago

This is a wonderful idea, especially after viewing the list of hardware we've all typed in manually here in the community. Uploading the info directly would certainly streamline and clean up the information. It should be optional though, as not everyone will be comfy sharing the data.

FeatherLight 4 years ago

Yep...would be nice to collect issues cross-referencing on program versions installed and system info ...like "inxi -Fx". This would expand the test-base for bug-hunting. And adding a semi-standard issue collecting questionnaire to elaborate on the committing issue would help too.

randysvh 4 years ago

I would like to see an extension of this where a hardware profile is automatically uploaded after an internet connection is established when a live CD is booted or an option on the live CD to send the hardware configuration. I like the automatic idea, but asking approval before it is sent, with a guarantee that no personal information is included in the log file.

masonman1858 4 years ago

I'm All For It !