Identify new user

prjolivet
  7 years ago
  Considered

Hi,

It's very nice to know how many users are joining linux mint community. I especially like the map showing the number of users by country but it's difficult to know who is really joining.

Idea:
I think it would also be nice to be able to identify easily the new users. We would be able to welcome them and support them in the use of our community.
For exemple we could identify them by the color of the frame around the avatar during few days.

Latest comments
prjolivet 7 years ago

Hi, Thank you to consider this idea.
Yes add a "date joined" could be another way to implementation this idea.

joelz 7 years ago

this could have potential, keep in mind that some people who sign up rarely keep visiting the site.

ElHaj 7 years ago

Think I'm worrying too match
welcoming new users is a nice idea
Promoting

ElHaj 7 years ago

Guess it's a bit unlikely but, a new user can be contacted through IRC or personal mails.

being new doesn't mean you have a weak system or knowledge, and being hacked doesn't mean your a n00b.

personally, not promoting anything that have (identify) .. (more info) considering the user of course.

prjolivet 7 years ago

If he is marked as new in the community:
- it doesn't provide more information on his system
- it doesn't mean his system is weak
- it doesn't mean he is a noob
Why would he be more likely to be a hacked ?

ElHaj 7 years ago

can't this make a user more likely to be targeted by a hack!??!

sunewbie 7 years ago

promoting ...

crismblog 7 years ago

A good idea, promote it.

kazztan0325 7 years ago

(Sorry, This comments is Off Topic.)

@prjolivet:
> I think user experience in the community is already identified by the XP points.

There is an exception, just only one person who has remarkable user experience exists in this community.
See profile of the person who stands first.

prjolivet 7 years ago

My idea is only to be able to identify new comers, it depends only on the time they registered the community (they might be diehard linux expert). The indicator would be remove after few days or better few weeks like kazztan0325 proposal.
I think user experience in the community is already identified by the XP points.

efthialex 7 years ago

You mean something like we have in the forums: newbie, regular, diehard...?

roht 7 years ago

I actually am a new user and I think that is a great idea!

ulysses 7 years ago

Good idea. I promote.

RayWoods 7 years ago

I agree too, good idea.

kazztan0325 7 years ago

This is a nice idea.
Promoting!

I just think it would be better if the term would be a little longer than few days, maybe... 2 weeks or so?