They offer different flash templates with latest features.
Login

Forgot password
Register
Back

The Main Desktop in Linux Mint 13 (LTS)

Created 6 years ago, edited 6 years ago.
Status changed 6 years ago
Author:

jose_manuel
Considered
  Score:
24 votes
Idea:

Because that still the Linux Mint Team has not decided which will be the main desktop in the next version (LTS). I think that may be a great help our opinions here. Although I wish I was KDE, but many not, but fortunately it will not be Gnome 3. The Candidates for the main desktop are two: Mate and Cinnamon.

I think that has to be editions for each one of them, but certainly the main desktop in this edition has to be Mate, I see much more stable, solid, and more mature than Cinnamon. Mate also is lighter, does not require 3D acceleration and works much more fluid. I Vote for Mate Desktop.

Comments:

6 years ago

fida1989
Yes, MATE seems better than Cinnamon.  
6 years ago

jose_manuel
Also I do not seems right leave aside the LXDE version, it was always a great version (all versions 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12), actually works very fast and very fluid as they have always worked. A Shame, really. Hopefully get the XFCE based Xubuntu version 12.04 that actually works very well.-  
6 years ago

sunewbie
while I am happy for XFCE, I dont feel good about LXDE. Never tried Fluxbox. I installed Fluxbox on Ubuntu 10.04, but did not like the interface, then I never tried it.  
6 years ago

jose_manuel
Well, let's waiting patiently to see what happens. According to most recent comments of Clem, seems to be less focus on versions of Linux Mint 13 but better quality, which really seems to me very, very successful .... It seems that we will have versions of Linux Mint 13 with Cinnamon, Mate, KDE (which looks set to take a big way, because there seems to be much sympathy between the teams of Linux Mint and Kubuntu team and Netrunner. I hope so and see the best KDE Linux distributions. At least Kubuntu 12.04 is truly Spectacular) and XFCE (finally a new version of XFCE based on Xubuntu !!!! Great new sunewbie !!!!). Unfortunately not all good news, it appears that LXDE and Fluxbox versions would be eliminated for now. A shame, most of all because LXDE, since the truth is that all versions of Linux Mint LXDE I've tried I have worked very very well. Anyway, for now are only versions. Patience and waiting .....  
6 years ago

kherring7383
Since switching to Mint from Ubuntu, with version 12, I can honestly say that I like Mint much better than that thing they call Unity. However as for the default desktop, it was my understanding that the support for Cinnamon has surpassed Mate. As for me, I have worked with Cinnamon and although I do like it, I have grown accustomed to the Gnome Shell with MGSE which I have customized to the way I do things. However, since I totally support Mint I will continue to use Mint regardless of which default desktop they choose. On another note, I would like to see Mint bring back the splash screen since Mint 12 doesn't have one.  
6 years ago

viking777
The Linux Mint Team have now decided which will be the main desktops in Mint 13 it will be Mate and Cinnamon - see vincentv's post. So this idea is now redundant, sorry.  
6 years ago

sunewbie
Thanks for the info @vincentv .

XFCE for main edition or Debian based. This is unclear. KDE will remain Kubuntu based bcos of partnership.

6 years ago

jose_manuel
Totally agree, Clem unfortunately not too great a staff, which unfortunately works against this great distribution. I do not believe the desktop Cinnamon will arrive on time without needing to leave the damned graphics acceleration, which is a point against for many people. For this reason I prefer the main edition focuses on Mate as it is more polishing and requires less hardware to run optimally.  
6 years ago

sadi_pu
vote for cinnamon!!  
6 years ago

sunewbie
As Clem has mentioned in one of the comment, Boo, Kendel and Merlwiz are all volunteers and they are not in regular touch.

Kendel has his own distro peppermint, Ikey and McLovin are involved in SolusOS.

The problem is the Clem does not have enough staff strength.

6 years ago

jose_manuel
Well, the truth that the Idea is good, shame that people seem to not take her too seriously. Some people who has admitted he has voted several times. I think that to try to leave everyone happy, go out 2 major releases of Linux Mint 13. A version with Mate, and another version with Cinnamon. And everyone happy !!!!  
6 years ago

sunewbie
why not vote here

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=100787&p=572944#p572944

6 years ago

jose_manuel
Unity, GNOME Shell and GNOME 3 is a real shit, what needs to choose, definitely choose Mate, but if the decision were mine, the main desktop in Linux Mint 13 would be KDE or XFCE would undoubtedly.  
6 years ago

z06gal
Mate is buggy big time on my laptop while Cinnamon runs beautifully. My vote is for Cinnamon but either is easy enough to install.  
6 years ago

sunewbie
I like XFCE can I have it as default :D ;)

please do not post something like this:

sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop --no-install-recommends

btw, I like both Mate and Cinnamon ... and XFCE

6 years ago

Thinker
I love Gnome Shell and Gnome 3  
6 years ago

RayWoods
I am very happy now with LMDE (201204) and have stuck with the default MATE desktop. But then, I'm an old sod, very happy with my old desktop layout. It works for me. I have tried the Cinnamon desktop, it is just a logout away.  
6 years ago

sunewbie
As @vincentv has said, a poll in forums will be much better  
6 years ago

dalcde
AFAIK, Cinnamon won't require 3D acceleration on LM13  
6 years ago

crismblog
I vote for Cinnamon as the default.  

Other ideas from jose_manuel