They offer different flash templates with latest features.
Login

Forgot password
Register
Back

Use different wallpapers for different workspaces by default in Cinnamon and MATE

Created 6 years ago, edited 6 years ago.
Status changed 6 years ago
Author:

Alexio
Selected
  Score:
70 votes
Idea:

Since it would be easier to recognize a certain workspace using the wallpaper, having different wallpapers for different workspaces (like in KDE) would be useful.

Different wallpapers for different workspaces

Comments:

3 months ago

gdesilva
A few of my friends who are using Mint have asked me for help on this. I have provided them with solution provided by Scooter Tooterson below (thanks for fixing the syntax error, Howling Wolf) and consider that this functionality will be make Mint more attractive - personally, I do not think it adds too much value but I guess good marketing is just as important as a good product.  
5 months ago

governmint
A great idea to easily recognize certain workspace with a diferent wallpaper which provides a visual clue just like icons do. Unfortunately the Windows platform is already ahead of us by 6 years on this.  
1 year ago

havilla
Yo no creo que sea muy útil.  
1 year ago

Howling_Wolf
Excellent code! Need some fine-tuning IMHO:
The option change desktop icons won't work (sed command has syntax error). You have to correct it. Omit the double backslashes before and after "Desktop":
--- before ---
.....HOME\\/Desktop\\).....
--- after ---
.....HOME\/Desktop\)......
The one have to change "Desktop" for his/her own language, if needed.
Beyond that, there will be created extra directories like Desktop0, Desktop1, ... according to how many workspaces are used. The different icons has to put into these folders instead of the original "Desktop"

Thank you.

1 year ago

ScooterTooterson
#!/bin/bash
# Workspace desktop image/directory switcher
# Script to change the desktop image and icons when switching workspaces
# Tested on Linux Mint 18.1 Serena 'cinnamon'
# Based on the script by garolou from:
# https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=118540#p672189

desktop_dir="/home/username/.cinnamon/backgrounds/" # full path to images directory;
desktop_img=(Main.jpg Coding.jpg Main.jpg Music.jpeg) # add more images if using more workspaces

setdesktop() {
gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.background picture-uri "file://$desktop_dir$1"
}
xprop -root -spy _NET_CURRENT_DESKTOP |
while read -r; do
desk="${REPLY: -1}" #get workspace number
setdesktop "${desktop_img[$desk]}" #set desktop image
gsettings set org.nemo.desktop show-desktop-icons false #hide icons
sed -i '/\(^XDG_DESKTOP_DIR="$HOME\\/Desktop\\)[^"]*"/s//\1'"$desk"'"/' ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs #change XDG_DESKTOP_DIR
gsettings set org.nemo.desktop show-desktop-icons true #show icons
done

This script will change the desktop wallpaper and directory. It allows you to have different icons/folders etc. on each workspace as well.

1 year ago

stOneskull
I just got a new laptop and have decided to use Cinnamon instead of using Xfce, which I've used for years, I am very surprised that I cannot choose a unique wallpaper for each workspace. It bugs me. Please, if there is anybody out there that can help with this... It seems like such an obvious feature to have.  
2 years ago

theStreak
To correct a common misconception, you can already do this in MATE if you use Compiz. It's handled by the "Wallpaper" plugin.  
3 years ago

michaldybczak
I would love to have different wallpapers, different icons, panels, etc. on various desktops. One would be for home, other for work. I miss that functionality. I could switch to kde, which has multiple desktop customization, but kde is ugly and chaotic for my taste, cinnamon rocks and I would like to have more options there.  
4 years ago

stefynex
It would be very handy. It would be nice to have different icon links also, so you can create specific environments for different tasks  
4 years ago

Spleenico
Already wanted different wallpapers for each workspace back then with GNOME2, I still would like it very much on MATE! :)  
4 years ago

simonbrown
I was looking to log this myself, so am delighted to find it alerady logged.  
4 years ago

Gluonpaul
I would be very keen to have different wallpapers on different workspaces. I prefer Cinnamon to KDE and dont really want to switch so having this functionality built into future releases would be welcome by myself.  
4 years ago

mike2020
On LXDE I found the different workspace wallpapers did a mind-trick of putting the current whereabouts into the subconscious, removing the need for conscious eye movement. Excellent!  
5 years ago

jahid_0903014
important  
5 years ago

kyrios
Just having different wallpapers per workspace is not enough.
There should be an option to have completely individual workspaces (per workspace wallpaper but also icons desklets, etc...)

I was very (badly) surprised to learn that almost no linux DE support this (except KDE I think).

I Use CDE (Common Desktop Environment) on Unix machines at work although it is very basic, it supports completely individual workspaces... and oh... I use this for 15 years now !

5 years ago

claudio
Very useful and a pre-requisite of a good interface. Don't forget to control the number of workspaces like Enligthment.
hopes to become a reality soon !!!

5 years ago

n00dle
This would be good; even if not enabled by default this would be particuarly useful.  
6 years ago

thetall82
The only big thing that keeps me from using Cinnamon as my main environment is the lack of customizations of the workspaces. On KDE you can set different wallpapers and different widgets (a dock with diffent progrm launchers on each workspace, for example). That makes it very easy and useful to set up different spaces for each activity or for different people who share the same account on the pc.

Would love to see this feature implemented :-)

6 years ago

3xOSC
Excellent idea, hope to see it come to fruition.  
6 years ago

Nikos_R
A great idea ,hopes to become !!!  
6 years ago

sdim
I think it's a very useful feature, If it could be implemented.  
6 years ago

AikoV3
I would love this feature, It would make organizing and working with my multiple desktop instances so much easier.

knowing on which desktop you are and easily knowing which desktop you are going to would be the greatest bonuses of this system.

6 years ago

rosemint2049
A great idea for improved desktop usage with multiple workspaces with individual wallpaper.  
6 years ago

roht
That would be nice.  
6 years ago

georgetom
This could make working with all those windows in multiple desktops a little less confusing :)  

Other ideas from Alexio