They offer different flash templates with latest features.
Login

Forgot password
Register
Back

Cinnamon / Panel / Allow vertical panels

Created 6 years ago, edited 6 years ago.
Status changed 6 years ago
Author:

eigenlambda
Under dev. review
  Score:
84 votes
Idea:

Most desktop and laptop monitors are widescreen these days, meaning there is more horizontal real estate than vertical. Thus, it makes sense to put panels on the sides of the screen, instead of the top and bottom.

Obviously certain applets prefer their horizontal orientation. But others would do just fine vertically oriented.

It might even make sense to, instead of messing around with giving applets different boxes to draw in like gnome2 did, to simply rotate their output for a vertical orientation.

Comments:

3 years ago

ToxicDragon
They already work on that one :)
https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/pull/4996

3 years ago

cmeeren
I'd VERY much like this!  
3 years ago

lexar
Vertical panels are a must. I have to use xfce for a vertical panel, but cinnamon just has better visual design. Would love to see this feature.  
3 years ago

steffan
I'm using, amongst others, an Asus EEE PC, and I would love this feature  
4 years ago

schmoove
vertical panels are an essential option in a modern OS  
4 years ago

Duff
Vertical panels are the best you can do on 1366x768 monitors (New laptops doesn't know any other size lol)  
4 years ago

mmutoo
The only reason I stayed away from Mint and switched to Ubuntu is this lack of a vertical panel!  
4 years ago

dragon4eg
Guys, I'm working with two widescreens at work and this long horizontal sausage could be a little nicer, so I'd really like to have my panel on the left side, like I can in Ubuntu(my previous system, but I gave up using Unity) or on Windows. Thanks in advance!  
4 years ago

dragon4eg
Guys, I'm working with two widescreens at work and this long horizontal sausage could be a little nicer, so I'd really like to have my panel on the left side, like I can in Ubuntu(my previous system, but I gave up using Unity) or on Windows. Thanks in advance!  
4 years ago

dragon4eg
4 years ago

Schatten
I can only agree. For some people, a vertical panel is essential for working efficiently - and therefore a knock-out-criterium when it comes to chose an OS.
Please, please do this!

5 years ago

rostak
Vertical panel is very good solution for widee screen. In ubuntu it was, why not in mint?  
5 years ago

CH1291
Completely agree with the other comments on widescreens - this feature has been available in Windows since Win2000! But you do need it to be wider to see the text sensibly. The open window buttons stack up very nicely this way, esp. with lots of them. BTW, vertical orientation of the text makes little sense (to me), unless you like working lying on your side ;-)

The comparision to the XFCE 4.10 Deskbar panel mode is perfect, that's what I'd most like to see in Cinnamon - it can float (be unlocked), be transparent, autohide, autosize, vertically orientated but with horizontal text, multiple rows/cols - like a panel and dock in one. I really like it, I nearly changed over, except Cinnamon is much more user-friendly and intuitive, esp. v2.0. The myriad config options in XFCE would really put my wife off it! But give it a go once, it's light, fast and very configurable - tempting... for my "play PC" perhaps.

+1 from me, thanks

PS. Ideas #2133, #2643 & #2771 all seem to be in the same vein, and a few Mint forum threads too, not to mention Cinnamon issues #278 & #629 (+others?) over at github, plus probably numerous other mentions on other forums.

5 years ago

alex-kir
Please, make such option!  
5 years ago

excalibur1234
in the M$ operating system this is really easy to do. but you can hardly tweak it.

in XFCE 4.10, there is an option "deskbar". this moves the panel to the left side. you can easily make it look (almost) like ecellingsworth's picture. you can tweak it in many ways as well.

it is also easy to do in KDE. you can customize it in many ways as well!

gnome2 had an option for this as well.

why does gnome3 (and cinnamon) remove this great feature?

(there is a forum thread about this as well: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=85468&p=748549#p748549 )

6 years ago

Antagonist
This is similar to idea 2133 (MGSE desktop: instead of bottom and top panel, option to have left and right panels) and is similarly worthy of merit.

Given that monitor and laptop manufacturers seem to abandoned the WUXGA LCD panels in favour of inferior HD TV panels. This reduces available vertical dimension on the screen by an annoying amount. Horizontal panels only exacerbate this.

As ecellingsworth points out, with XFCE on LMDE a vertical panel configuration is possible but not necessarily very pretty.

+1 from me

6 years ago

CyLith
I definitely would like this feature since I have two 1920x1080 monitors laid out horizontally, so I have way too much horizontal space. I have tried Mate, Cinnamon, and XFCE, and in none of these do vertical panels work well/easily by default. Mate allows placing the panel on the side, but the window list is rotated and the icons are uselessly humongous. Cinnamon doesn't even have the option. I am going to try out ecellingsworth's suggestions.  
6 years ago

ecellingsworth
vincentv: Since you're wondering what a non-Unity, non-Gnome Shell implementation might look like, I took a screen shot of my vertical panel arrangement in LMDE Xfce. It was difficult to put together and is actually the conglomeration of 4 separate panels, some vertical and some horizontal. Key features are a vertical window list with horizontal text, a quick launch area, and icons that don't resize to the width of the panel, which was a longstanding problem with gnome-panel.

http://postimage.org/image/62mil2udr/

6 years ago

scott36
yes, this must be made possible!

has nobody thought about people, how might be using 2 screens?

I must say it is disappointing that there is no current option for this - thats why people who do serious work don't have a choice but using mate or KDE or....

6 years ago

quake0
This sounds like a nice option.  
6 years ago

ppatalas
Nice, I follow.  
6 years ago

Mintification
This is a good idea for people with widescreens, but I think it's really up to the application developers in the end :)  

Other ideas from eigenlambda

No other ideas.