An 'Ignore' button in Update Manager

sunewbie
  7 years ago
  Considered

From Clem's comments on this post Mint 13 Reviews Roundup

It’s always a good idea to make sure your system software is up to date before you start using a new version of a distro.

Clem responded:
I strongly disagree with this statement. If things work don’t break them. If you need a fix, know which one and why you need it. Be selective with your updates, don’t take everything that comes up. Both the RC and the stable release go through a massive amount of testing. If the first thing you do is accept all upstream updates you open your system to any potential regression coming with them. Security doesn’t justify everything, especially when people don’t have a clue what security holes or bugs the updates they’re taking are supposed to fix. It’s important to know how to be safe and avoid problems, blindly taking updates is not something I would recommend.

A ignore button in Update Manager with options 'remind me later after 30 days' or 'ignore permanently' should be handy

I know there is an option to ignore updates, but this will be very easy.

What do you think?

Perhaps, what about end users like me, who do not know whether a particular update is harmful or not? Generally it is not. I trust Clem and Team :)

So basically no need to update, if things are working fine.
Latest comments
sunewbie 7 years ago

Hi @vincentv

Makes sense :)

Hope both gets noticed and implemented :)

thanks for linking back.

ElHaj 7 years ago

@sunewbie thats a good idea too :)

sunewbie 7 years ago

@ElHai

Thank for promoting :)

there can be just one 'ignore' button, if individual buttons makes things too crowded.

check boxes are already present. So along with check update and install button there will be ignore button. I think this should be handy.

ElHaj 7 years ago

I just got confused, the idea I guess is to have a button near every item in the list of availble updates?
well that's too much buttons to generate even for a small update

(just a thouth)sugjest adding ignore as a Menu Item, for example one can select the packages he wish to ignore then press Edit>Ignore after that, the user is asked if he wish to ignore permenetly or reminded to update in 30 days.

I don't think i'll be using this feature, but it is a nice one to have.
Promoting

sunewbie 7 years ago

Thank you @compuman2004 

@ElHai
After 6 months there will be a lot of updates in your update manager. I remember that immediately after installing Mint 12 (after a week of it's release), I got 200 MB of update

You can select update. but the update keeps showing up in update manager. Please think from end user standpoint. Would not be it better to have an ignore button?

Things can be done, as I have already written in my Idea, but this is to make it easy. Even Mint started as Ubuntu + some apps, an attempt to make Ubuntu more out-of-the-box and people loved it and now you cna see where mint stands.

Small things matter much. Those little comforts are more helpful then one can imagine, if you want to convert windows users and not frustrated windows user :)

Deepin software manger is well received. Is it not?

thanks for commenting

ElHaj 7 years ago

I've been tinkering with the Update Manager and you can already include packages to be ignored, and you can specify the level of the updates (certified, recommended, safe, unsafe, dangerous)

Update Manager Edit>preferences
now I'm Really CoNfUsEd ??

ElHaj 7 years ago

already you can ignore updates
if you don't want to update .. well don't, just ignore (no button needed)
unless your talking about specific updates, like update everything except several programs, so those programs can be excluded from the current and|or future updates ??

sunewbie 7 years ago

@LexMK

*Ignore permanently: no

Well, there was a compatibility problem with compiz 0.94. Pinguy 11.04.1 had only one change a downgraded compiz.

For Some applications. like compiz, if it's working fine, then no need to upgrade. Clem says so in comments and even in intro page. He says, no need to upgrade if things are working fine. I hope I remember correctly.

sunewbie 7 years ago

Thank you all :)

I understand and agree with you all.

Remind after 30 can be useful in case of apps like FF or thunderbird, if you are running less popular addon / extensions. In this case, you only know the compatibility after installing / upgrading FF. devs may take time to update their apps to be compatible with latest versions of FF.

Important security updates: These are core updates. So these need to be installed and are categorized as level one or critical. I agree with @kazztan0325 and @jose_manuel .

@ulysses 

For geed, ther is no alternative, but to control yourself. Curiosity of knowing everything as soon as it is released, maybe harmful. Remember Mint is designed for End Users (like me) and not for geeks. There are other distros like Arch, chakra, etc or try Bodhi.

*Maybe some people then notes that he did not need this and that.

In this case, there should be an option to roll back to earlier versions

Just my 2 cents :)

jose_manuel 7 years ago

Great Idea estimated sunewbie. But it would be good for security updates or important updates of the system were not overlooked. Anyway.... I Promoting this Idea !!!!

kazztan0325 7 years ago

I promote this idea, but I think important security updates should be notified to users even if users clicked the ignore button.

LexMK 7 years ago

Remind me in 30 days: yes
Ignore permanently: no

That is what Windows did, and now there are people still using IE 6.....

ulysses 7 years ago

It is disconcerting how many users greedy rush for anything new.
With the setting "it's new is the main thing," you will not get far.
And Greed devours the brain. There are plenty of updates for all, but not for everyone's greed. So bring on the button or a delayed update.
There are 5 updates available. Your system will be updated within 30 days.
Maybe some people then notes that he did not need this and that.

sunewbie 7 years ago

Thank you @joelz .

joelz 7 years ago

I agree that an "ignore" button would definitely be a good idea.