They offer different flash templates with latest features.
Login

Forgot password
Register
Back

Boot-repair in the live cd

Created 6 years ago, edited 6 years ago.
Status changed 6 years ago
Author:

aragorn91
Under dev. review
  Score:
96 votes
Idea:

The live cd is used to try and test linux mint.
It is also used to restore some linux mint functionalities when then are missing or broken.

I strongly suggest to include the boot-repair application in the live cd/dvd.
This can be used to restore grub when you install in a dual boot another operating system.

I.e i had installed kde mint lisa and then i installed windows 7. The master boot record had been replaced by the microsoft standard one, erasing grub.

With boot-repair, i easily reinstalled grub with its previous parameters. Therefore i had to install this app on the live cd. It could have been much easier if it had been included from the beginning in the "system" menu.

The ppa is there :
ppa:yannubuntu/boot-repair

Comments:

3 years ago

synkoptik
Yes! And some kind of kernel-repair. I'm going crazy....learning...then forgetting....should i push the easy button? Bite the bullet, start fresh? Lose all my settings? Ugghh.. Ill give it try. Or forums, here I come.  
3 years ago

numix
This is a very important feature and should be included by default.  
3 years ago

maxgeek333
Good idea  
4 years ago

talo
i agree  
5 years ago

kipyegonchep
Any steps to repairing kernel errors in live cd.  
6 years ago

Brucey99
+1, I have needed this many times  
6 years ago

heiowge
Fantastic idea.  
6 years ago

lubor87
Great idea, I needed this feature a few times...  
6 years ago

stevef
Great suggestion. Put this in the live CD/DVD with a menu option.  
6 years ago

Tonya
A very good idea! Promoted!  
6 years ago

sunewbie
Boot-repair will soon be available in repos. The site is not saying that it will be installed by default.

Yannubuntu also has Hybride OS which has boot-repair, grub customizer installed by default. If I remember correctly, there is one version Ubuntu-Secure-Remix (link is provided on boot-repair page) , which has following functionalities.

Functionalities
same functionalities as the normal Ubuntu 12.04 LTS CD, but also :
automatically backup of the MBRs when installing Ubuntu (Clean-Ubiquity), which is highly recommended for dual-boot Ubuntu-Windows (or MacOS)

integrates OS-Uninstaller (tool to uninstall any Operating System from your PC)

integrates Boot-Repair (tool to repair the PC boot)

Boot-Repair and OS-Uninstaller can be run from the Dash (the top-left Ubuntu logo).

6 years ago

sunewbie
I also did same mistake. Everytime I install a distro, I install GRUB in sda. I also have Ubuntu / Xubuntu. Whenever the kernel is updated (major or minor upgradation), grub-pc is reconfigured and Grub.cfg is re-created

Better would be to install only one grub in sda and all other grubs in sda'y' i.e. sda5, sda6, i.e. same / (root) partition where the OS is installed. So you will need to only update or reconfigure grub-pc of only one distro. Mint does not update kernel, so it's Grub stays for long time, except it's overwritten by another grub of another distro or grub is updated to latest version.

6 years ago

dmwsdq
even ubuntu will include boot-repair in their live cd in the near future, according to https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

i think it should be included in the future release of Linux Mint as well. I've lost my GRUB after installing Fedora (Fedora's GRUB replaced Mint's GRUB).

6 years ago

ruler
i encounter this problem. and yes, i agree 100%. plus make the disk can repair the installation just like a normal windows disk.

more info on boot-repair here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

6 years ago

Oamey
I have run into various problems with boot over the years and some sort of built in repair tool would certainly be very useful. +1  
6 years ago

jose_manuel
Excellent Idea !!!! I Promoting this Idea.-  
6 years ago

michelsaey
A very good idea. You never know when you need this app.  
6 years ago

crismblog
A good idea that I promote.  
6 years ago

sunewbie
Hi,

there is boot repair, grub doctor from yannubuntu. Secure Ununtu / hybride OS also has this.

6 years ago

ecellingsworth
I can see where this would be useful (I've made the same mistake in the past) but I think the live cd has enough functionality to address the problem already, even if it means installing packages temporarily after booting, such as the one you mention. I'm voting neutral on this.  

Other ideas from aragorn91