remove adobe reader from the software center

ElHaj
  7 years ago
  Considered

or at least from the featured section.
for the following reasons
http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Google-warns-of-using-Adobe-Reader-particularly-on-Linux-1668153.html
Latest comments
kazztan0325 6 years ago

"Adobe Reader (package name = acroread)" is not available in the Canonical Partner Repositories in Ubuntu 12.10, therefore Adobe Reader is not available in Mint 14 too.

I think this idea's Status should be changed to Implemented.

Hammer459 7 years ago

On one hand... The fact that Google warns of using another commersial product is in and of itself reason for removing it fron the repository.
On the other hand... Adobe is a commersial company too...
I vote to keep Adobe in the repository but drop it from featured section

pjdyns01 7 years ago

I moved from Windoes to Mint about 3 years ago and was at first more comfortable using familiar cross-platform programs. I soon found there were better programs than Reader in Linux for pdf's though. I'd favour having a warning against the program in Software Manager, perhaps using the link that ElHaj has provided. Linux is partly about people making up their own minds about things so this would facilitate that. Serious issue, though, and right to have it raised.

sunewbie 7 years ago

There are user reviews at the bottom. So that shols not be a problem.

After all Linux is a completely new system. No matter how much we try to be user friendly, one has to adopt to Linux Culture.

sunewbie 7 years ago

I understand, but it is most probably the first step and the user gains some confidence, when he sees an app that he/she has used before. Later when one flows with Linux world, do you think he/she will have just one De and one distro??? - less probability. Linux is so dynamic and has too many choices. At one point of time, you become a distrohopper before you settle down. So even the app preferance will change :)

No offenses :)

ElHaj 7 years ago

the problem is adobe reader widespread, a new user is most probably to install the software after seeing it in the software manager not knowing that he don't need it and that the software have security holes, having the software featured only make matters worse.

sunewbie 7 years ago

Let it be in featured. Always think to migrate windows users and not frustrated windows users :)

In India, Bisleri is symnorms with Mineral / Packaged drinking water. SO you ask Bisleri and you get Aqua Fina. The owner will say it's bisleri aquafina ;). Same with Cadbury. All chocklates are cadburys. Even Perk is cadbury ;)

Though there are many other popular softwares, but for laymen, first is adobe, eventhough recent versions are had security holes, it's the most download pdf reader. Cross platform apps make one very comfortable. Later they can know that evince, et al can be easily used instead of Adobe acrobat reader.

AvanOsch 7 years ago

I totally agree it should NOT be in the Featured section.
No reason to remove it entirely thouhg...

I Promote the "or at least from the featured section" part!

lubor87 7 years ago

In some cases the Adobe reader is only way to display PDF correctly.
So, I think Adobe reader should stay in repos.
Demote...

sunewbie 7 years ago

I had a second thought. I will stay neutral. Since Mint is for wondows converts. They are more comfortable with Adobe reader. So let it be in repos. anyways, mint has a default pdf reader :)

drake_lord 7 years ago

Good idea. Its been years since I last used adobe reader. Even in Win 7, I use the lightweight Sumatra reader. I promote this!!

napolean_p 7 years ago

Thank you for the link.Promoting.

Mintification 7 years ago

There you go - I didn't even know we had that in the repos. Evince all the way :D

sunewbie 7 years ago

who is using Adobe PDF reader ;)

There are many more available, light and work well for just reading pdf docs :)

prjolivet 7 years ago

I promote.

jose_manuel 7 years ago

Very Good Idea !!!! I Promote this.-