Terminal help file

sunewbie
  7 years ago
  Considered

Hello,

For end users, use of terminals is a new thing. How would it be to have a help file installed by default for terminal or something similar to clicompanion.

This file will give you important day-2-day used commands like ls, blkid, installing software using apt-get, removing and purging (explain difference between both), installing multiple deb files in same folder with single command, navigating directories, man command, etc.

Removing directories should not be given as it does not ask for confirmation if you are already using it as a root / superuser using sudo.

Advantages of use of terminal can also be given like repairing dpkg, etc

i feel it would be much better to give a link in the menu above or below the terminal.

This should help new windows converts and reduce fear of use of terminal
Latest comments
sunewbie 6 years ago

Thank you @tamiflew .

tamiflew 6 years ago

Terminal is strange beast for an end user used only to Windows. Anything useful that helps is a good thing.

sunewbie 7 years ago

Thank you @contactted .

sunewbie 7 years ago

Thank you @compuman2004 .

sunewbie 7 years ago

Thank you @prjolivet .

Clicompanion is just an e.g. Help file may be a separate file or maybe just a link to html doc, which can be accessed off-line.

prjolivet 7 years ago

I didn't know clicompanion, I think it would help beginner but this application may not be stable yet. I promote.

sunewbie 7 years ago

Thank you @ElHaj .

ElHaj 7 years ago

"help file installed by default for terminal"
promoting

"something similar to clicompanion"
promoting very much

sunewbie 7 years ago

Hi, I knew that this can be written as a tutorial. But for new ones, a link in the context menu or in main XFCE or MATE or Cinnamon menu, it will be much more comfortable.

It will free the time to search.

this help file will cover basics. More for details, we can always have a link to a Mint tutorial or any other useful link like you have given or

the help file which can be an html version or a deb file installed / integrated in local help will contain additional learning resources.