remove the chart on the main ideas page

ElHaj
  7 years ago
  Under dev. review

well, welcoming members with a chart that shows more then 50% of total ideas are rejected is not very encouraging, besides the chart really doesn't serve a useful purpose (judging ideas by quantity is not a good idea)
the link
http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/welcome
Latest comments
kazztan0325 6 years ago

Fortunately(?) the status "Rejected" is no longer here after when the idea module was updated.

By the way, whenever would the permanent TOP idea "Sketches" be implemented?
http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/view/16

joelz 7 years ago

from my perspective, I wouldn't be too excited as a new user when I saw that graph.
however, after getting to know what kind of ideas are shared here, then I grew more confident in sharing ideas.

ElHaj 7 years ago

this is not about hiding, rejecting, ... facts.
what the chart is for in the first place, as a user I would look at the chart and see what, as a user what would the chart tell me, as a new user who have an idea and like to share it with the community what should I conclude from looking at the chart ?!?

AlexVSharp 7 years ago

I believe most of the rejected ideas are actually duplicates. If you ask me, if the website was to be redesigned to find/merge/display duplicates there would be no need to remove the chart. Maybe just provide an option to hide it for those people with slower connections.

yoyology 7 years ago

I promoted it, not because the statistics are discouraging, but because the charts on the community pages generally load slowly and clutter the page layout.

napolean_p 7 years ago

Taking both views into consideration,I think it is better to leave the graph in its place.Honesty helps to contain expectations.It can be a source of comfort to those whose idea/s has been rejected and feel stupid about it.It helps to show that there are limitations on what the developers can do with their time and they have to pick and choose the best among the many ideas submitted.Hmmm,I have to point out that I am someone who can put a positive spin on anything so YMMV :)

quake0 7 years ago

their is noting wrong with facts, in the same way their is nothing wrong with truth. They are only showing the reality of mint idea out comes as they are.

prjolivet 7 years ago

I don't really agree with you on this chart. Showing that most ideas are rejected may also encourage people to think twice before posting an idea, checking if it's understandable and if has not been already submitted.
I agree the number of ideas is not important but by showing this graph you show the percentage of good ideas witch is great. So sorry I demote.

joelz 7 years ago

@compuman204 haha :D we hope not!

joelz 7 years ago

wow iv never thought about this before.
promoting :)