Calendar view in Nemo

Alexio
  8 years ago
  Under dev. review

People have trouble finding their files and hate spending time managing them. The idea is to avoid all this by leaving the difficult-to-remember hierarchical tree structure behind and instead focus on some of the things that people do recall. Like when they worked on the document, or the file type, or other characteristics.

What about reusing some ideas from an old project with Codename Nemo? See the screenshots and tell what you think about adding this as an option for the Nemo file manager!

The day view:
Nemo Search

The default month view:
Nemo Search

Here’s the year view:
Nemo Search

There could be an option to combine it with a labeling system which is arguably a more powerful categorization system than a hierarchy:
Nemo Search

Source: Codename Nemo Project
Latest comments
InkKnife 8 years ago

I think these views are really interesting and the idea is a fresh take on file organisation abstraction that seems like it might be a good fit for certain use cases. It's certainly unique and nothing OSX or Windows offers.

Qruqs 8 years ago

"People have trouble finding their files and hate spending time managing them."

No, I don't have a problem, nor do I hate spending time managing my files. Idea is moot!

Alexio 8 years ago

@remoulder - Thank you for the tip :) I added this feature proposal for Nemo at https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/issues/33

remoulder 8 years ago

Post Cinnamon ideas at https://github.com/linuxmint/Cinnamon/issues

Alexio 8 years ago

@geoffm - Thank you for the feedback and for promoting this idea! I changed the title :)

geoffm 8 years ago

It would be interesting to add this additionnal view type.
I don't agree that a tree structure is difficult to remember though. It's good practice to organize your files in appropriate folders. I keep telling computer iletterate people to put their files in appropriate folders instead of throwing everything on the Desktop. Some people's desktop are a real garbage pile. I'm saying this because I believe that software shouldn't be designed to patch the negative effects of bad habit but rather to encourage the good ones by making its proper usage obvious and by educating users as needed. Bad default configurations in file browsers, like the default display view as a grid of large icons, and opening each folder in a new window, discourage people to have many folders and navigate through a complex hierarchy. It also makes it longer for the eyes to scan for a certain file, as opposed to a list view. This is an example of how bad choice of default interface (which most users won't change ever) result in inefficient behaviors from the user.
I'm saying this because I wouldn't want this view to replace the others, or to become the default view. I do think, however, that it should be available for the user to choose, so I'm promoting.
Btw, imho you should have named your idea "calendar view in nemo"... "idea for nema" is way too general.

blueXrider 8 years ago

This would be freak'n great. Agreed +1

Alexio 8 years ago

Some feedback from a couple of Linux Mint followers on Tumblr:

That’s pretty neat. Never thought to display files by date in a calendar-type layout. Really looking forward to this.

Sweet mother of god, they’ve lost their minds! It’s… it’s… beautiful.

Now if they’d just trim the fat and make her a lil’ more light weight than Nautilus I’d jam it into my Frankenstein of a Slackware box and go for a spin.