File Types Editor

Alexio
  11 years ago
  Selected

I know that there is a need for file extension matching as well as content pattern matching.

I found in Synaptic a GUI for editing file associations, called "assoGiate". To associate a file type just by extension, find it in assoGiate, double click on it, go to the file contents tab, and delete everything there.

It may be useful to include a File Types Editor in the Main ISO.
Latest comments
Qruqs 8 years ago

Not necessary.

MestreLion 10 years ago

I use assoGiate since Lucid 10.04, and i find it brilliant: easy to use, does its job perfectly. It has great options and features in a simple, solid, intuituve GUI. And great documentation too. I dont think a new "Mint File Types Manager" should be developed. Everything i wanted so far was graciously handled by assogiate.

Alexio 10 years ago

@linux01 - You can install assoGiate from the Ubuntu repositories and use it to see how it works. More information about this software can be found in the Internet Archive, using the Wayback Machine.

linux01 10 years ago

I agree with Alexio's idea. A file association manager is needed for a friendly desktop/general purpose distro such as Linux Mint.

I can't find much info on Assogiate out there, and so cannot attest to its quality. It might be a good idea to develop a new Mint File Types Manager.

remoulder 11 years ago

Ubuntu tweak