More Laptop-friendly

Vincent
  9 years ago
  Considered

Please make Mint a more laptop-friendly distribution. You'd think that since Mint uses less resources than Windows Vista/7, it'd also be more energy-efficient, but I guess my assumption was wrong. Most of the time it breaks even with Windows when it comes to battery life, at least on my laptop, although sometimes it falls behind a bit, by about a half-hour of battery life.

I'd like to see more than just Gnome Power Manager in the Control Panel. I'd love to have CPU frequency scaling enabled by default and more accessible, and more commands/utilities that allow you to tweak things so that your laptop doesn't consume as much power. Packages like "powertop" (which can be found in Synaptic) can really help to get the most out of your battery. ;)
Latest comments
absolute 1 year ago

I think there should be an edition which is targeted for the notebooks. This special edition will be less bulky and more optimized.

belmethos 4 years ago

I am using CPU Frequency Applet it is perfect.

Looks like this;
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1113424/img/indicator-cpufreq.png

asderceder 4 years ago

I'm also in favor for laptop meta packages. Another idea would be to release laptop editions of Linux Mint, with Xfce (or LXDE, or both) as preinstalled DE.

SparcUltimo 4 years ago

Hi guys. I installed Mint 17 Xfce on my Netbook Toschiba 510. I did just use 25 % RAM for Idle Process. Too much. Well, I installed Openbox with fbpanel. Awesome. Just 15 % Ram for Idle Process. I would like to have an openbox realise, or whatever, just for netbooks.

SparcUltimo 4 years ago

Hi guys. I installed Mint 17 Xfce on my Netbook Toschiba 510. I did just use 25 % RAM for Idle Process. Too much. Well, I installed Openbox with fbpanel. Awesome. Just 15 % Ram for Idle Process. I would like to have an openbox realise, or whatever, just for netbooks.

SparcUltimo 4 years ago

SparcUltimo 4 years ago

flash16 4 years ago

Yes, mint makes the battery not last very long, and I just got a new battery, too

flash16 4 years ago

Yes, the battery doesn't last very long, and I just got a new battery, too

belmethos 4 years ago

TLP is good but requires a GUI

andreas-h 4 years ago

Also, it could be a good idea to have a "meta-package" for laptops, including a community selection of all these things. That would make it easier for newbies without technical experience and interest to get started.

andreas-h 4 years ago

"System Settings" could have an app for

a) adjusting CPU frequency scaling, depending on battery or A/C

b) (after installing tlp) have a GUI for configuring TLP (http://linrunner.de/en/tlp/tlp.html). Installation of TLP should be strongly encouraged on laptios

molmole 5 years ago

Mint 17 became more mature than the older versions, especially about battery life. But, windows still ahead with 40% at least longer battery life.

HerrDierk 5 years ago

Mint 17 works well on my laptop. No problems at all.

GILINUX 5 years ago

XFCE works well on my Laptop

quake0 7 years ago

Just replace XFCE with LXDE.

RayWoods 7 years ago

The have been issues with some laptops and code in the kernel lately, which is rather outside the remit of our Development Team. As @blueXrider said, if you have an issue with your computer and Linux Mint, go to the forums for help.

Rejected.

lemieszek 7 years ago

One idea I could put up as a new one, but I think is related to this one is this: ironhide or bumblebee installed by default. Not sure how that would work and how stress-free the configuration would be, but with hybrid graphic cards becoming more and more popular. a lot of laptops out there become just too power-hungry with the default LinuxMint installation (since the dedicated card is usually automatically enabled and has to be disabled by ironhide or bumblebee).

What I'm saying might be a bunch of crap since I'm a total newb, but... there's my 2 cents.

ctsdownloads 7 years ago

The good news is that you don't have to wait. On both my main laptop and on my 1005HA Eee netbook, I rock this little applet.
http://www.jupiterapplet.org/index.html

It works VERY well and is just what is needed. Works great on Mint 12, both desktop environments. This will do exactly what you want. ;)

carlosjimy 8 years ago

You know, the distro should be the most general and usefull posible... anyway there are several tool to control power consumption in detail that have no sense for desktop for example. I'm not sure if this tools should be included by default.