They offer different flash templates with latest features.
Login

Forgot password
Register
Back

Make mate the fall back mode for linux mint 15.

Created 6 years ago, edited 6 years ago.
Status changed 6 years ago
Author:

quake0
Considered
  Score:
16 votes
Idea:

Make mate the fall back mode for linux mint 15. Then drop the mint mate alternative. Currently fall back/clasic mode will be droped from gnome 3.8. This would be a perfect since it would prevent redundent work.

P.S.
I know gnome 3 and mate were combined before, but I bet clem won't have so many problems this time around since mate and cinnaman are much more stable.

Comments:

5 years ago

quake0
If you are going to use open box as fall back why don't you use lxde, or lxdeqt?  
6 years ago

clem
MATE and Cinnamon are both great and we committed to give each one its own dedicated edition. This won't change.

Cinnamon might replace fallback with something lightweight such as OpenBox, but only to fall back on X when acceleration isn't there.. not to provide an alternative desktop within the same edition.

6 years ago

hosef
I think having them both Cinnamon and Mate on the same disk would be great as long as both of them remained stable.
This might also make it easier for new users to pick which version they wanted.

6 years ago

quake0
Bcharron, the idea would be to have both mate and Cinnamon combined.  
6 years ago

bcharron
Oh, please don't take my Mate away! I've been fudging around with various Linux distros using Unity, KDE, Xubuntu, Mint KDE, etc and finally installed Mint 13 Mate and I think it's the best so far. So, please don't take my Mate away!  
6 years ago

quake0
Well I would just skip the over laping mate software and just use Cinnamon stuff.  
6 years ago

raneern99
I kind of agree and kind of disagree. Some problems include Cinnamon and MATE having overlapping applications - caja vs nemo, pluma vs gedit, etc. On the LMDE 201204 ISO, which had MATE 1.2 and Cinnamon 1.4 (both a version older than the current), there was a lot of overlap. I doubt there would be any actual bugs (or at least any major bugs), but you can't get passed the overlapping applications. I also think that calling MATE a fallback discourages people who are considering using MATE. In addition, people like me who know Cinnamon works with their graphics card (and who want Cinnamon) don't want the extra clutter of having MATE installed. The Gnome Fallback mode was taylored for gnome shell to be a fallback mode and integrates relatively seamlessly.

On the other hand, I would be very happy if Cinnamon was ready to be the default desktop.

6 years ago

quake0
6 years ago

quake0
I aree gnome 3 sucks.  
6 years ago

quake0
I mean Eliminate the Mate edition. As long as it does not interfere with Cinnamon. I am some one who does not think we should have 2 main editions.  
6 years ago

mikemmm
What exactly do you mean by "Then drop the mint mate alternative"? Eliminate the Mate edition? That would be a terrible idea - a lot of people prefer Mate and have little interest in the other editions. Mate is not just a fallback for when Cinnamon can't run on a particular PC. It is a desirable desktop in its own right.

If you mean that Mint's flagship version would have both Cinnamon and Mate installed together, and the preferred one is selected by the user (and can be made as the default selection), then that is more acceptable. That does assume, however, that they can be made to not interfere with each other at all (not just less than before.) After all the instability with Gnome and alternate desktops for the past two or three releases, having a rock-solid stable release is extremely important for Mint 15 (and for Mint 14, actually.)

6 years ago

Hammer459
As Gnome shell is completely useless I happily promote this  

Other ideas from quake0