Older gnome-disk-utility interface

Mad-Cow
  7 years ago
  Under dev. review

In LM14rc, gnome-disk-utility has been "upgraded" to 3.6.1 (I think in LM13 it was 2.X) (and changed its name in the menu to disks, instead of disk utility).

It doesn't seem to have any improvements at all. It seems to have lost some features in terms of what it tells you, and it is both very ugly and unintuitive in terms of performing actions on the partitions or disks. Whereas before all the options were explained obviously in the window, now they are in the menus, which have no labels, taking more time to navigate through.

There was nothing wrong with the old version, although when I tried to install an old version it had an "unsolvable dependency". Could you modify the new and/or old version to have the older, intuitive interface, and include that instead?
Latest comments
xen2050 7 years ago

I think I found the problem: the "source" is in/from Debian, ( http://packages.debian.org/search?searchon=names&keywords=gnome-disk-utility )
The stable version is 2.30, the testing & unstable (sid) versions are 3.0.2-3, BUT the experimental (rc-buggy) version is 3.6.1-1. It even has this warning:

Warning: This package is from the experimental distribution. That means it is likely unstable or buggy, and it may even cause data loss. Please be sure to consult the changelog and other possible documentation before using it.

Apparently Ubuntu picked the experimental buggy version for ubuntu 12.10, and that carried into mint 14. I even found a bug where if you plug in two identical USB SD card readers (/dev/sdb and sdc here) and they have the same serial # (don't know if true or how) the new rc-buggy 3.6 version will only show you info about ONE of them, can't even see the other one even though at the top it lists both "/dev/sdb /dev/sdc" just to tease me, can't look at or benchmark/mount/unmount the other one. When I uninstall the rc-buggy 3.6 version and install the last "good" version (3.0.2-2ubuntu8) then I can see both disks and everything works great.

We don't need a whole new "forked" version just for Mint, just install the good testing/unstable version from Ubuntu.
Here's how I installed the "good" version (3.0.2-2ubuntu8) in Mint 14 MATE 64-bit (Live/default with multimedia version).

Download gnome-disk-utility_3.0.2-2ubuntu8_amd64.deb from https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/quantal/amd64/gnome-disk-utility/3.0.2-2ubuntu8 (on right under "Downloadable Files")
It depends on 2 other packages that are not in the default Mint repositories, D/L them from the "Depends on:" links on the same webpage
libgdu0 https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/quantal/amd64/libgdu0/3.0.2-2ubuntu8
libgdu-gtk0 https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/quantal/amd64/libgdu-gtk0/3.0.2-2ubuntu8
This one depends on another package that wasn't installed by default:
libavahi-ui-gtk3-0 (in default mint repos)
And I needed libunique-3.0-0 (in default mint repos)

The bottom two can be installed with synaptic (or terminal should work)
"sudo apt-get install libunique-3.0-0 libavahi-ui-gtk3-0"

Then for the other 3 downloaded .deb files, can put them all in one directory and install together (dpkg complains if try installing one at a time and don't have the dependencies installed first, then have to remove the "broken" one you just tried installing, synaptic can remove them)
"sudo dpkg --install --recursive [dirwithdebfiles]"

or one at a time ""sudo dpkg --install [dependenciesfirst].deb"
dpkg will tell you if there's a dependency not met, I started with gnome-disk-utility_3.0.2-2ubuntu8_amd64.deb and it told me what I was missing, I looked on synaptic and if not there downloaded from the launchpad.net page.

For 32-bit they're on launchpad.net somewhere, may be version ....2ubuntu7 ?

There's probably an easier to add the right ubuntu repository, but I don't know it and I was "discouraged" from changing the default/prefered versions in Synaptic's warning "These settings affect the core of your system. Consider any changes carefully." And changing preferred versions didn't find the good "old" testing/untable 3.0.2 version anyway.

broadcastyourseb 7 years ago

In Linux Mint 13, it was the version 3.0.2 of the disk utility also named palimpsest with a command line.
I make some test under virtualbox with Mint 14 and I have the same bad feeling with this new version of the disk utility. My system is installed on a disk array and the old disk tool was perfect to manage it, repair it with a great user interface. Gnome disappoints me.

Mad-Cow 7 years ago

Yes I know that but it is possible to fork them when the gnome team has removed important features etc, like with cinnamon or nemo.

remoulder 7 years ago

Mint do not write Gnome or it's tools