Automatic recovery mode

LexMK
  10 years ago
  Under dev. review

The idea is to put some kind of automatic recovery mode, selectable in a pre-login screen, like the Grub kernel selection screen in LMDE.

This recovery mode should do these things in this order:

1) Check the sources.list, and change back to default.
2) Check every installed package, and remove ones with a version number higher than the one present in the official repo.
3) Remove any unrecognized package (Ones not installed from the official repo) that might affect any critical area.
4) Perform dist-upgrade and reinstall all the packages removed in 2) at the current repo version.
5) Check if graphic drivers are correctly configured. If not, fix it.
6) Revert every DE back to its default configuration.

The vast majority of the times I've heard someone having some kind of problem/crash with Mint was about something that could be solved performing some of these actions. Automate it would be of great help for many users.
Latest comments
michelsaey 10 years ago

As long if it's an option. It's usefull for new users.

Hammer459 10 years ago

@LexMK You are right to a point, but I think most times you add a program or upgrade and your box stops working. Then you could roll that back. If that does not work then you just let your magic script roll everything back to a safe state.
All in all I think it is a great idea that will do much to add quality to Mint

LexMK 10 years ago

@Hammer459 Just a note: people capable of knowing what and where exactly they did wrong are usually also able to fix it by themselves.

What I'm proposing after all is a simple shell script that I can even make by myself.

Shin 10 years ago

I like it

Hammer459 10 years ago

@LexMK you have a point. Make it a choice. If you have messed around with a bunch of repos and other stuff, revert to a safe default. If the problem occurred after one specific install, revert one step. My guess is that reverting one step will fix the problem in most cases. However, if that is not the case, revert everything to default is probably the best way to go.

LexMK 10 years ago

@Hammer459 because default ones are always "safer". If the last three changes were all to experimental repos, switching one back wouldn't solve anything. That method would take up too much time and probably going to end up using the default ones anyway.

Reverting the system to its original status is the only way to be totally sure it will work again. This thing is an emergency procedure, so it requires a solution that is guaranteed to work.

Hammer459 10 years ago

To comment on the specific list by @LexMK ...
Why not add a checkpoint every time you install and change the sources.list and versions back to whatever was in effect prior to last install en revert packages to that version. Then proceed with 3)and 5).
If that did not solve the problem go back one more snapshot until problem is solved.

RTPDr 10 years ago

simplicity is the ultimate sophistication; make it a one key recovery.

LexMK 10 years ago

@remoulder The feature I'm asking for is in Windows since Win '98. Yes. WINDOWS 98. Apple has tech support centers all around the world that can fix any problem in a matter of two or three days and the best we can come up with is telling to our user "Try to not break anything. If you do, just wipe your drive and reinstall"....

....yet, we keep asking ourselves why people won't choose free software.

Hammer459 10 years ago

@remoulder in the real world software can screw up the system. Maybe a bad update or a supposedly safe program. It is not an appropriate response to say that the user should recover by reinstalling. Even the Dark Empire from Redmond has a reasonably working way to recover and undo the last install and/or os upgrade.
I occationally make misstakes even though I have a lifetime as a Unix developer and tester. We must assume that the average user makes those and more misstakes. Also remember that LM is developed for the average Joe not just for you and me.
Thus... If there is a way to make a recovery tool to help the average user recover a bad upgrade/install it should be implemented.
Remember we gain more acceptance from the masses by making LM easy to use, not by, in effect, calling the user who makes a misstake an idiot...

remoulder 10 years ago

Meanwhile ... back in the real world, learning how not to break things in the first place might be useful? There is already a (semi) automated recovery process that does the things you list, it's called a re-install.

crismblog 10 years ago

promoting

Hammer459 10 years ago

Good idea, promoting