One click generate a list of installed apps and an app to install them in another click on fresh upgraded distro

sunewbie
  7 years ago
  Under dev. review

We all upgrade our distro sooner or later and install extra softwares.

It would be better to generate a list of installed apps in one click. Currently I have to note them manually. It is possible that we forget smaller apps or adons like ogg converter, mp3 tag editor, k3b extra codecs, etc

It would be very convenient to have a csv file. We can upload generated file to google docs or simply take a backup on pen drive. CSV file can be opened in calc and can be easily edited by end users. So I can remove an app from the list if I want to.

When we install a fresh system, all we have to do is simply point the path of the file generated and the latest version of apps selected will be installed all at a time, just like we can install all selected apps in synaptic at a time.

An app for this purpose would be very very useful to end users like me and would definitely ease upgradation process.
Latest comments
viked2000 6 years ago

that is a great idea

jahid_0903014 6 years ago

A GUI will be preferable

sunewbie 6 years ago

@michelsaey , either way is fine. work should be done easily through GUI :) Thanks for promoting.

michelsaey 6 years ago

Promote! But is it better to make an upgrade Mint Backup? This function is present in Mint Backup but it could be better.

sunewbie 7 years ago

Thank you @thinker .

sunewbie 7 years ago

@timpster 

Having same profile works well. I had xubuntu 11.10 and then installed Xubuntu 12.04 with same user name / login id. All settings were saved.

But this is for one click install of all the apps. Suppose you have installed 10 apps, you will have to manually select and install them one by one in software manager. Please note that synaptic is for regular or intermediate users, while mint focussing for end users (like me ;) ) who do not like to go under the hood. I do not like to pile up layers. Do only that is necessary.

Thinker 7 years ago

Good Idea

sunewbie 7 years ago

Thank you @Hammer459 for explanation.

Either create new tool or improve Mint backup

Hammer459 7 years ago

As I explained Mint Backup is there and supposedly does the job. But only if the repo is still valid in the new version. If not it does absolutely nothing except give a message that one or more repos are no longer valid. Also the backup tool does not remove installed programs only adds new.
So I agree with @sunewbie that a new tool is required

Mad-Cow 7 years ago

Um backup tool? That is pre-installed and does that.

Hammer459 7 years ago

Also this kind of tool would clean out unwanted applications that the user has removed from previous Mint.
Such as removing Libre Office (all 15 or so packages) and replacing with Apache Open Office

Hammer459 7 years ago

Mint Backup does backup your list of installed applications and their sources. However, if the repository a program is downloaded from is no longer valid in the new version of Mint the backup can not be restored to the new Mint (such as ubuntu11 is superceeded by the new repo ubuntu12)

A new and improved tool for this would be a big boost in Mint as it would make transition to next version so much easier

sunewbie 7 years ago

Thank you @hammer459 for promoting this idea.

I have not used mint backup, as I have many distros and win XP at home and take a backup on my cloud - my Seagate external HDD ;)

it's not about data backp, it's just a list of installed apps :)

Hammer459 7 years ago

Mint backup supposedly does that but currently it does not do a very good job of it.
Therefore I promote your idea, wether it will be an improved Mint Backup or a new tool