Change the default installation partition setup

unexistance
  11 years ago
  Selected

Especially if the user selects wipe-out disk.

Better if partition is something like:
sda0 : /
sda1 : extended partition
sda1 : 0 : /home
sda1 : 1 : swap

IMHO easier to upgrade too
Latest comments
Windsurfer 7 years ago

If swap is used by all nstalled *nixes then sda2: swap would be better.

RayWoods 9 years ago

As someone who always opts for root, home and swap partitions I think I can only go one way here.

New > Considered

unexistance 10 years ago

the layout suggested is for option
Whole disk

billy 10 years ago

Partitioning is one area where wizards consistently fail. IMO partition editing during installation is a very bad idea. All partition operations should be performed with something like System Rescue CD before installation begins.

I think the only options necessary are 1) whole of disk, 2) largest unused partition, and 3) custom. Everyone has their own ideas for a layout that will work for them so it is pointless developers trying to guess what that might be.

Pierre 11 years ago

Better if partition is something like:
sda0 : /
sda1 : /data
sda2 : extended partition
sda5 : /home
sda6 : /swap

ichat 11 years ago

best idea ive seen so far...
specially if youd be able to pick from a few defaults

aehjr1 11 years ago

This is a GREAT idea! My first foray into Mint was Gloria, and I let the woezard (NOT misspelled) manage my dual-boot setup. Woe was me! The default was all in one partition, and that barely big enough to hold the initial installation. I ended up having to boot into the Live CD again and enlarge the Mint partition. For my upgrade to Isadora, I had to do some fancy finagling to get around the "damage" I did with the first Mint install.

A good partition wizard for install would make Mint stand out as the best Debian distro.

baffle-boy 11 years ago

i use this setup already, but it wasn't that easy to set up. making this the default would make things a lot easier for many new user trying to upgrade.

heltonbiker 11 years ago

There are a lot of people that never thought about disk partitioning strategy, and the moment of instalation is not the right time to make a bad choice. Since we already know some good partitioning schemas, there should be a wizard to keep novice users comfortable. The schemas proposal by Alexio is great!

CBindahouse 11 years ago

This would make it far easier to upgrade!

Alexio 11 years ago

The user should be able to choose from various partitioning schemas and there is also the possibility to work with Logical Volume Management on Linux.

remoulder 11 years ago

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/community.linuxmint.com/+spec/mint-installer-auto-home-partition