Mint System Builder (creating PCs based on the Hardware section)

kneekoo
  9 years ago
  Under dev. review

Credit goes to albert22 for his idea - "linux box tutorial":
http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/view/400

He said it would be useful to have a tutorial about creating a computer compatible and optimized for Linux Mint. However, maintaining that tutorial could be a hurdle considering the Mint development team is not large at all. This is why I thought a "self-care" add-on would be better for people looking for the right hardware for Linux Mint.

I'm sure the Mint developers could find some time to create this tool if we help them with the necessary ideas so they don't need to come up with everything. :P Here's what I have in mind:

1. The name of the tool could be "Mint System Builder", "Mint PC Builder" or something else.
2. There should be a very basic intro tutorial about computers, explaining what makes a PC running - which are the mandatory components - and which components are optional.
3. The tool should allow people to choose from two different sections - mandatory/optional hardware - components that are marked as "Works perfectly" in the Hardware section of the community website.
4. The Mint System Builder should be able to generate a simple document for printing AND/OR allow sending it by e-mail.
5. This system builder should be able to guide the user to choose a hardware more appropriate for specific needs, not necessarily by every bit of the specifications but rather a sort of a performance indicator.

To make this tool even easier, the hardware section should be improved a bit, but I'll write this as a new idea so we don't mix things. Please suggest more features if you think there's more we can do to make PC building easier to newbies. Thank you.
Latest comments
vardomescro 8 years ago

I had a similar idea tonight. I like your spin on it though. My thoughts were in offering a build-a-box page and linking to a retailer, driving sales and rewarding hardware makers for being pro-Linux. Possible users could be the diy enthusiasts as well as the practical corporate networking salesman.

kneekoo 9 years ago

Sure, every distro aims to be compatible with a lot of hardware, but this is an effort coming from the distro-makers. At the other end, of the users', such tools to help them choose hardware that simply works is something essential for both distro-makers and users because we can't all just sit and wait until every piece of hardware is compatible with Linux (or vice-versa).

heltonbiker 9 years ago

It seems to me that:

1) it's a lot more difficult to choose hardware items than to chose software items, including a distro;
2) it's the mission of every distro to make itself compatible with any single bit of hardware available, and not to be so hardware dependent to the point of needing specific hardware to work better or to work at all.

But these are my thoughts, only ;o)

kneekoo 9 years ago

Yes and no. System building heavily depends on the kernels inside the distributions and some other more or less important details in choice of software. Anyway, thanks for linking that page in here. We can certainly use some info from there.

Alexio 9 years ago

The system builder may use information from the Linux Hardware Compatibility Lists & Linux Drivers websites.