I hate political correct wording...

RayWoods
  9 years ago
  Under dev. review

Wonderful, I've just gained a new friend in the Linux Mint Community! However, the joy of this new friendship is tempered by the email message that alerted me to it.

The text reads....
"XYZ added you to his/her friend list."

Can we have it changed to "XYZ added you to their friend list."?
Latest comments
theeurosucks 8 years ago

I agree, this is subtle political correctness of some sort.

passstab 8 years ago

this is a waste of time

RayWoods 8 years ago

Yes, it rates the same as all the different names for the Rubbish/Waste/Deleted Bin. Hopefully the source of this little niggle is being corrected upstream in Ubuntu so should filter down to us soon.

timh 8 years ago

I hate such hacking of language for correctness too :)

What's about not even shorter: »XYZ added you to the friend list«
XYZ will not add you to ACB's friend list, I think ;)

dbpatankar 9 years ago

Grammatically I feel 'their' is wrong.
The best thing would be to use either 'his' or 'her' dynamically based on gender.
But as already said....... it doesn't matter a lot.

oscar799 9 years ago

In this context,"his/her friends list" does look clumsy "their friends list" looks better

keyneom 9 years ago

Well, technically I don't think it is even grammatically correct to say "their" but I don't really care either way, I use "their" in my regular speech anyways.

baffle-boy 9 years ago

i dont see why not to do it... but it's not really a big deal.

heltonbiker 9 years ago

Ok, that's true. My previous comment was motivated more because it was a bit strange to read an idea starting with "I hate...". First, because hate and collaboration doesn't mixed so well as "I'd like to..." and collaboration. And, putting an idea in terms of "I don't like it and I would like to change it" seems less prone to be heard and considered than "It seems to me that this issue should be changed". BUT, as always, it's only an opinion, and I am talking about your specific phrase, nothing personal :o)

RayWoods 9 years ago

In the scheme of things no, this isn't important. However isn't it better to use good English and, these politically correct phrases generally make the text more complicated. Isn't it easier to say "their" instead of "his/her"? And it wouldn't take too long to fix either. Why use two words instead of one?

heltonbiker 9 years ago

This is too personal, it isn't possible to always please everybody. Also, is it that important?