Fingerprint reader support

fawadanwar
  9 years ago
  Selected

Builtin fingerprint reader, and login support
Latest comments
macbeto 1 year ago

I believe this is a must have. The most of the actual laptops has fingerprints hardware intergrated, like mine, but I can't use this really important feature because it is not supported by linunx mint. There is an out dated application called fingerprint gui for it but doesn't include new fingerprit readers. My question will be who that can use fingerprint reader come back to type password?
For me this is more important than the most of new features.

brankovukelic 7 years ago

As far as I can see, simply installing `fprintd` and `libpam-fprintd` will allow users to enroll their fingerprints via the User Accounts interface and start using the reader (at least on some devices). PAM is already configured to take advantage of fprintd. It might be worthwhile to consider prelading the two packages mentioned, and/or create a metapackage which pulls in both of them, with a description that would make it easy to find.

anandrkris 7 years ago

I own a Toshiba Satellite which supports this features in Windows and would love to see this in Mint.

Mintification 7 years ago

Great idea, especiallu for laptop/netbook users.

RayWoods 7 years ago

If the Developers can do it, why not...

New > Considered

krustybaguette 9 years ago

LM10 Julia dual boot with Windows 7 on Lenovo X60. Just got this laptop used on craigslist and it's best I've ever used. Mint install went great but would love to be able to login with fingerprint reader as in Windows. I know nothing about coding, programming, but if I did I'd be all over this one.

heltonbiker 9 years ago

Some notes come with builtin reader, so support for these devices should be considered. Much more practical than type password, specially after screensaver comes in, many times a day... ;o)