They offer different flash templates with latest features.
Login

Forgot password
Register
Back

apt-get should install recommends by default

Created 5 years ago, edited 5 years ago.
Status changed 5 years ago
Author:

pazuzuthewise
Considered
  Score:
12 votes
Idea:

Lots of software seems to seriously need the packages listed as recommended, not functioning properly without them (for example unetbootin needs extlinux to work, but it is listed as recommended). Of course, "apt-get --install-recommends" solves this issue, but the problem persists for synaptic, that, as a front-end to apt-get, becomes kind of unpractical at installing software (since I don't know exactly beforehand every program that absolutely needs its recommended packages).

I believe that the former behavior, apt-get installing recommends by default, was better, and that it should be enabled again.

Comments:

5 years ago

pazuzuthewise
@Hammer459: It is not a question of patching software, only of providing what I consider to be sane default settings. At least in the case of synaptic, under Settings>Preferences>General there is the option of "Consider recommended packages as dependencies". It clearly is up to Mint to provide whatever configuration settings it desires for any upstream software it uses.

The second argument's validity, referring to occasional reasons not to install recommends, depends on the frequency of such occasions. At least in my limited experience, occasional means "few times", and I believe a better approach is to use --no-install-recommends at such occasions.

5 years ago

jahid_0903014
agree with @Hammer459  
5 years ago

Hammer459
Neither apt-get nor synaptic is Mint software. Thus is it is not up to Mint to update them. Then there are occasionally reasons not to install recommended dependencies so forcing it that way is not entirely good.  

Other ideas from pazuzuthewise