Support for RAID 0

Shin
  7 years ago
  Considered

Ubuntu 14.04 (and previous releases of linuxmint/ubuntu) doesn't support RAID 0. If you have 2 hard disk set as an unique volume using RAID 0, you will not able to install Ubuntu 14.04 without encountering troubles.

If next release of LinuxMint will grant support to RAID 0, it would be great.
Latest comments
baltix 6 years ago

It's a pretty easy workaround how to install Ubuntu Desktop (Live) image into md RAID volume with desktop installer (ubiquity):

https://launchpad.net/baltix/+source/ubiquity/+bug/44609/comments/25

I'm using this workaround since Ubuntu 10.04 (works also with newer versions, tested on 14.04 and 12.04) - Ubuntu Desktop can be installed into Linux Software RAID (md) storage with these steps:

1. Installed mdadm in live system, then create Linux Software RAID with this command (for example):

sudo mdadm --create /dev/md0 --level=1 --raid-disks=2 /dev/sda1 /dev/sdb1

then format /dev/md0 with ext4 file system (you can use mkfs.ext4 /dev/md0 or GParted), because Ubiquity doesn't allow to choose md0 until it's formated with filesystem

2. Install mdadm in target system after apt is configured (I'm installing in Ubiquity's step "Downloading language packages") with these commands:

sudo cp /var/cache/apt/archives/mdadm_3.2.3-2ubuntu1_i386.deb /target/var/cache/apt/archives/
sudo chroot /target/ dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/mdadm*

For successful installation downloading language packages should take pretty long time, because command 'sudo chroot /target/ dpkg -i /var/cache/apt/archives/mdadm* ' locks dpkg database and installer stops when tries to install language packages. In such case you should install mdadm in target system earlier.

AlexVSharp 6 years ago

I don't care if it is a "mainstream" Ubuntu issue or not. It's a fact that this problem has been pleaguing Mint for quite some time now and should be addressed. People who downvote this suggestion or say things like "go complain to Ubuntu folks" need a reality check. An average user just wants to press the button and install the system, and since Mint is going their own way they need to fix it.

165175 7 years ago

Found it, a meta-package for Linux Mint Cinnamon on top of Ubuntu server. Seems to be complete, looks ok.

After taking the steps in my previous post, run this command at the ubuntu base promt:
sudo apt-get install mint-meta-cinnamon

165175 7 years ago

Tested some more on top of a bare ubuntu server installation. What I ended up with was indeed a Linux Mint Cinnamon desktop but with a lot of stuff missing.

My question! Is there a meta-package to install Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon on top of Ubuntu Server, resulting in a desktop just as beautiful as the Live-DVD install?

What I did to test install:

Added to /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://packages.linuxmint.com qiana main upstream import backport romeo universe multiverse

Created a file /etc/apt/preferences
Package: *
Pin: release o=linuxmint
Pin-Priority: 700

Pin: origin packages.linuxmint.com
Pin-Priority: 700

Pin: release o=Ubuntu
Pin-Priority: 500

I ran the following commands from ubuntu base promt:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install xinit mdm cinnamon mintinstall mintsources mintupdate
sudo nano /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf (change managed=false to managed=true)
sudo reboot

At the ubuntu base promt run:
startx (only nessesary on first boot-up)

165175 7 years ago

For Ubuntu at least you can use the server install-CD to create a RAID setup of your choice and install a ubuntu base system with command promt only, and on top of that run 'sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop'. Before reboot you should run 'sudo nano /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf' and change 'managed=false' to 'managed=true' to enable the Network Manager icon. I'm writing this on such a machine with 4 old Samsung hard drives running RAID0.

I would love to be able to do the same with Mint 17 Cinnamon, getting exactly the same desktop as from a Live-DVD exept running on a multiple disk RAID0 setup.

onstrike 7 years ago

The Mint dev team has nothing to do with upstream issues like that. Linux Mint is Ubuntu based, so file a report with Ubuntu.

remoulder 7 years ago

This is nonsense, raid 0 support has been provided since ubuntu 9.04. Some failures in ubuntu 14.04 have been bug tracked and will no doubt be resolved in due course. If raid doesn't work on your system you need to file an ubuntu bug report or support request.