They offer different flash templates with latest features.
Login

Forgot password
Register
Back

Reinforce LiveUSB as a way to reduce environmental burden

Created 8 years ago, edited 8 years ago.
Status changed 7 years ago
Author:

heltonbiker
Selected
  Score:
31 votes
Idea:

Many of us have already noticed how better are LiveUSBs comparing to LiveCDs: faster, smaller, less prone to physical damage, and integrated to everyday-use pendrives.

Another important issue is that the habit of using LiveUSBs can dramatically reduce optial media use over time, reducing environmental burden due to plastic waste, since every 6 months the distro might become obsolete.

My suggestion is to add on allaround documentation (mint sites, tutorials, announcements) a suggestion to use LiveUSB as a possible method to test and install new distros, if not for other reasons, at least because of this specifical one (environment).

Comments:

5 years ago

grungy_me
Yes! I like this a lot. Much less waste booting from USB flash. Might as well educate users to do this.  
6 years ago

kipyegonchep
it makes us friendly  
6 years ago

heltonbiker
Unfortunately, some multiboot-USBs, some ISOs, and some BIOS create some problems while booting (for example, not booting at all), or while trying to install the distro from the USB media.  
7 years ago

psyckers
Liking the idea as it may also increase the priority of developing easier ways of creating LiveUSBs in particularly multi distro LiveUSBs. Perhaps go one better and figure out a way of doing a boot install from a cloud.  
7 years ago

RayWoods
As time has gone by I have tended to try out new versions in VB with a virtual cd/dvd but, we should be pushing the idea to use usb sticks and the like instead of discs.

New > Considered

7 years ago

blueXrider
Eco-Friendly people would like this  
8 years ago

dagon
Promoting/Thanks!

Recycling CD's is not mainstream (maybe in some countries). You have a complex metal/plastic thing that the local recycle plants don't know if they should burn or deposit.

8 years ago

MrVining
I never even thought of the environmental impact of burning CD after CD... I'm somewhat shocked in myself to be honest.

PS
Now I have to go buy an iPod so I'm not burning CDs for the car .

8 years ago

RayWoods
Yes, a very good idea. I'm for it!  
8 years ago

Mdyter
LiveUSBs a much better for everyday-use than LiveCDs.
promoting the idea

Other ideas from heltonbiker