MintUpdate automatic pre-download

mikefreeman
  9 years ago
  Selected

One option that existed in the Debian (and I maybe Ubuntu?) update manager was to allow it to automatically download any newly updated deb files in the background. That way, when the user wants to update their system, files are there ready to be installed. The user could instantly install the pre-downloaded files without having to wait through a download when there is a slow connection or very large files.

I would love to see this available in MintUpdate as well. I leave my computer on almost all the time. When I was on Debian, it was pretty nice to sit down, see that there were updates available, and have them instantly installed with a click of the mouse without having to wait through a download. This would be especially important in an area where Internet access is very slow.

For those with low disk space, or who would rather not have the files waiting there for any reason, this feature could be turned off.
Latest comments
FinixFighter 1 year ago

I think that the possibility to auto-install updates would be also great!

LinuxFan5 4 years ago

If optional, yes!

m4daredsun 7 years ago

Had the same idea few minutes ago while doing a dist-upgrade for my LMDE installation.

This would help really a lot

quake0 8 years ago

As long as it is switcheable on and off.

blueXrider 8 years ago

Under Ubuntu-Gutsy you could go to Update Manager> Software Sources> and have automatic updates. "Download all updates in the background" and "Install security updates without confirmation"

This was a good manager. We need to have this!

mikefreeman 8 years ago

If they use the same software update program (or at least based on it) as Debian, then most likely yes, it is what Ubuntu does. But MintUpdate does not do this.

codger 8 years ago

Isn't this what Ubuntu does?

rbchinchen 8 years ago

I think it should be a selection in the installer, and it should cache the updates with options based around the necessity of the update (from a security or stability standpoint).

mikefreeman 9 years ago

Absolutely! On Debian it was an option that was off by default, but you could switch it on if you wanted.

pbmuk 9 years ago

I like it but it does need to be switcheable