MintUpdate automatic install of low-risk updates

mikefreeman
  10 years ago
  Selected

A nice option for MintUpdate might be to allow it to automatically install updates that are rated above a user-specified level without the need for user approval. For example, I may set the auto-install to anything at or above a 2 rating. That way, important security updates are installed without the need for user interaction, while updates the user considers more "risky" (rated 3, 4, or 5) wait for user approval.

These updates would be installed in the background only with free CPU cycles and network bandwidth, so system performance impact is minimized.

For those who would rather not trust the update system to make the choice for them, this feature could be turned off by default until the user specifies their preference.
Latest comments
FinixFighter 1 year ago

I think that users should have the possibility to auto-install all the updates. To activate this mode the password will be required and then auto-install of all updates will be performed every time

enoss 5 years ago

And don't need password for update level 2 and 3 !!!

drewkeller 6 years ago

A third column in the update manager (Preferences > Levels > Auto) is exactly where I looked for this option.

For a partial solution, refer to http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1217. Note that this doesn't use the Mint update levels.

"This is Linux and you have to [be a geek/use your brain/etc] to use it" is not a relevant argument. Sometimes I just want to USE my computer, not MESS AROUND with it every few hours, regardless of whether it's Windows or Linux. (I wrote my own DOS back in the day to run on a computer I built myself from a schematic and perf board, chips, resistors, wires, etc. so yes, I AM in the geekiest of the geeks category.) Linux already does a lot of stuff for you already without you having to do it manually.

99% of the normal updates can be done without any user intervention at all. And if user intervention is required (different config file or such), the update simply doesn't happen and it shows up in the update manager instead of auto-applied. So I don't see how that's an issue.

excalibur1234 7 years ago

this is a feature i want every day i make an update.

ubuntu and M$ can do this, why not mint?

Redsandro 7 years ago

I can't believe 11 people actually voted this DOWN.

How is an option for a rating-save way to implement automatic updates, that many of us do crudely by dangerous hacks and cron-jobs ourselves anyway, a bad idea?

One can never have too many sense-making options, as long as nay-sayers like those 11 demoters can choose NOT to enable that option.

mikefreeman 8 years ago

I'm thinking perhaps something could be added to the Mint Update Manager.

For example, in MintUpdate, you can go to Edit -> Preferences and on the Levels tab you see the 5 safety levels. 4 and 5 are generally considered unsafe, and use at your own risk. 1 and 2 are tested and safe, and 3 is not tested, but believed to be safe. On the right side, you see check boxes for "Safe?" and "Visible?". We could possibly add an extra check box (could be next to all of them, or just next to 1, 2, and 3) labeled "Automatic?". This would allow the user to decide what level of risk is acceptable for automatically updating, or just have it all turned off. When any level(s) are checked, MintUpdate can install them as soon as they come in, or an option could be added to update at a specific time.

windyweather 8 years ago

If by "Low Risk" we mean "Important" in the sense of security, then this is a no-brainer, right? U* has an option in the prefs so there are not scripts to fool with. and W* has done this for years as the default.. Go for it.

mikefreeman 9 years ago

Yes, it could be done with a script. I'm just thinking about those who are coming from a less "techy" background who would be terrified at the prospect of writing a script, or don't have the time to learn how. It's something that needs to be integrated into the existing GUI, so that it's an intuitive thing to setup.

Bailx 9 years ago

this is a sorely lacking feature... and i'd probably use it too, because it can get old doing it over and over every few days... but i found this page because i'm trying to figure out how my dad can run linux mint, but also not have to do updates, because he just won't do it otherwise.

i come from a 10+ years running red hat, so with centos and such, i just do a yum script and cron.daily

i assume this could be done with mint, i just haven't tried.

orionthehunter 9 years ago

I like this a lot, with the following contentions:
Users are notified of any graphical or user interface/user experience changes that might seem inconsistent.
This is easily disabled with a checkbox in mintUpdate preferences.

mikefreeman 9 years ago

I suppose the level where updates are automatic could be decided on by the user in the Preferences dialog (with due warning that some untrusted updates could break the system, of course).

passstab 9 years ago

i'd like the option to automaticly get lv3 also (maybe with a warning)

keyneom 9 years ago

Sounds good to me, this would help a lot for as stated below a lot of the users I do installs for and they don't know how to do anything but listen to music, use text editors and access the internet. I always end up having to update their systems when I get the chance. Makes sense to me and I don't think it would be too difficult to get implemented.

DJCrashdummy 9 years ago

i think it would be the best to have a 3rd option (beside "secure" & "visible") for the levels like "install automatically"!

and if not, please bring back ALL options in synaptic (like in ubuntu)!!! --> because there are these options like auto-install, auto-download and so on...!

mcduarte2000 10 years ago

This would be very useful. For example, when we install Linux Mint in a user with low technical knowledge (like our parents computer). The only frequent task I still have to do on my parents computer is to install this updates. Even on my computer I would turn this option on!

pbmuk 10 years ago

So long as it's an option then this looks ok. I like seeing what is going to be installed first, so I would have it turned off. I'd especially not want it running if I'm on a slow internet connection.

heltonbiker 10 years ago

If there aren't technical or stability reasons why not to do that, it seems fine.