They offer different flash templates with latest features.
Login

Forgot password
Register
Back

Update Manager: please create a notification option for kernel updates

Created 4 years ago, edited 4 years ago.
Status changed 4 years ago
Author:

Pjotr
Considered
  Score:
64 votes
Idea:

In Mint 17, Update Manager has been improved a lot. But one important feature is still lacking, in my opinion: an option to enable automatic notification of available kernel updates.

Currently, the only way to check for available kernel updates, is by checking manually (toolbar: View - Linux kernels). An automated notification can be useful for people who, for security reasons or otherwise, prefer to always have the latest available kernel.

This could for example be implemented by a checkbox on the "Levels" tab of the Preferences, below the checkbox for "Always show security updates". It might be called something like: "Always show kernel updates", with below that a warning about possible stability issues.

Comments:

4 years ago

kissarat
Someone must make list of packages to notify about. Where to find info about which packages is kernel related. I would implement this feature  
4 years ago

Karenlee77
Yes an automated reminder would be gr8 ..'also the instructions how to boot into the previous kernel' should it go amiss with the update..agreed wonderful suggestion : ))  
4 years ago

fred_B
Good idea to have this. I was running a much older kernel and didn't know I could upgrade it. I ran across it by accident.  
4 years ago

headache
agreed  
4 years ago

simulacres
agree too need this feature  
4 years ago

pakun
I agree, nice option for people concern about security. Even when it is already easy to manually install it, this auto reminder would help us a lot.  
4 years ago

scimmiettarossa
seems reasonable, and I do not see any disadvantage  
4 years ago

draco1
It's a great idea, especially for users new to linux!  
4 years ago

jtflynnz
I think it would be nice to have the option!  
4 years ago

Suranga_SL
Sounds like a great idea. Definitely should be implemented....  
4 years ago

fodder
It's okay either way for me. I have always been accustomed to checking for updates on a regular basis anyway. I'm just a noob, but some noobs don't need to mess with this anyway, so, I am unbiased as to whether or not it's included, or the way it is. I'm good with it.  
4 years ago

warkd
Agree  
4 years ago

jahid_0903014
good one..  
4 years ago

Lvsithor
Indeed a great idea!  
4 years ago

dundree
Sounds like a great idea. Definitely should be implemented.

4 years ago

gagaman
Sounds like a good suggestion.
It would simplify the updateroutine of the mint system.

4 years ago

midas
@xenopeek; that was exactly what I was considering. I tried updating by using Synaptic and the Terminal-method. But it didn't brought me to the latest kernel-updates. Relevant is that there is a kernel-package installed by default by the Mint-developing team that prevents installing the latest available kernel-version provided by Ubuntu.  
4 years ago

xenopeek
Useful read on what Update Manager is about: http://segfault.linuxmint.com/2014/07/update-manager-more-kernel-info/. You're free to use any other package manager to do your updating, and perhaps there is one that does what you need?  
4 years ago

Pjotr
I've found a somewhat crude workaround, which I've added to my website:
https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/2

But it's a somewhat crude method, because now Update Manager will probably offer future kernel updates pre-checked. And I'm not sure how Update Manager will classify them.

Currently, there's no usable hack to let Update Manager automatically offer you kernel updates *unchecked" in Linux Mint. At least that I know of. So only the Mint devs can help out...

4 years ago

Pjotr
@Hammer459: well, I would already be happy with an *option* to show them automatically (and unchecked)....

Kernel updates are the most radical of all updates, which might justify treating them as a category of their own. So maybe it's wise not to show unchecked security updates for the kernel *by default*, alongside the "ordinary" unchecked security updates of level 4 and 5.

But I think we should have an *option* to show them alongside those. I think it's preferable to let the user decide whether he wants to be alerted automatically about new kernels or not...

4 years ago

Hammer459
@Pjotr that is a strange distinction that someone has made and if that is correct then I fully support the idea of _showing_ these unchecked.  
4 years ago

Pjotr
@Hammer459: no, it's not. Updates for the kernel, *even when they contain security updates*, are *not* shown at all.

Kernels are apparently an exception: the only way to make a kernel update visible, is this action: toolbar Update Manager: View - Linux kernels. What I request is an option for automatic notification for new kernels, which is not available now.

So it's not implemented now, not at all....

4 years ago

Hammer459
All security updates are already shown in Update Manager. Level 4 and 5 are not checked.
Isn't that what you ask for? I suggest to mods to change status to "Implemented"

4 years ago

HerrDierk
Indeed a great idea  
4 years ago

KhalVal
I think this is a great idea, it would really help newbies. I'm pretty new, and I was confused by the updates. It sounds like this would make it simpler to know which updates I need and which I don't.  
4 years ago

mattharding1974
There's a small margain of hardware that causes problems. Enable this feature by default and offer an option to disable it, rather than this way around.  
4 years ago

talo
i agree  
4 years ago

bwmchris
totaly agree its a must have.  
4 years ago

RikRik
The idea is good and important to stop discussions and improve the quality of Linux Mint  
4 years ago

midas
It should be the other way around. Out of the box receiving all the security updates including kernel-updates. Users with difficult or coplex hardware could opt for receiving only the level 1 up to level 3 updates.  

Other ideas from Pjotr