They offer different flash templates with latest features.
Login

Forgot password
Register
Back

Improve The Mint Custom Google Search

Created 7 years ago, edited 7 years ago.
Author:

brad
Implemented
  Score:
138 votes
Idea:

As a Linux Mint 9 user,I am currently running Firefox as my default web browser and find that the Mint Custom Google Search is ugly and inefficient.Many people say that you should just remove it,but it is the biggest source of income for Mint and so I don't want to.I think that the Mint team should change it a bit more,to make it look nicer and run better.

Comments:

4 years ago

twipley
Is that one already implemented, as it says? Since when?

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=86520

6 years ago

AIPHEE
Definitely agree, mint search engine is unusable. There are many missing functions and it cant be searching in CZ locale.  
6 years ago

nexus_uwaterloo
how about some links to the other Google services as well?  
6 years ago

DynamicMan
If the custom search is Mint's largest source of income, surely improving it as much as possible must be a top priority!

Does Google's solution for custom search have any technical limitations that stops this from happening?

6 years ago

JoeTheTechGuy
I'm using Mint 10, Firefox default browser as well (can't wait til the Mint devs put Firefox 4 in the repositories where it belongs), and I agree, the Mint Google search could use some sprucing up. Particularly all those links across the top of the page for web, images, etc. They're just standard blue links, and since I have the web of trust (WOT) addon installed, every one of them has a little green circle next to it. Some CSS/HTML changes to turn those links into some nice looking buttons that don't have WOT circles next to all of them would be a huge improvement. Another improvement would be eliminating the part of the page that says "Search results for a+b+c." Just ditch that part, and instead - if possible - maybe do what google.com does: if you input a typo like "a+bc" instead of "a+b+c," have it auto-correct and say something like "Showing results for a+b+c. Search instead for a+bc." And moving all the links to the right a little so they're not squished against the left side of the screen would be a nice aesthetic improvement as well, even if nothing is put in that new space  
6 years ago

maxmir
I love the Mint Custom Google Search -- in combination with Google's default country search (I live in Morocco) it annoyed me so much I just edited myself a Google UK version for normal use and a Google France version for when I need a good Francophone slant. Sorry about the loss of revenue to Mint, but after 30 years in IT and being redundant yet again, sympathy is not my strong suit.  
6 years ago

AlbertP
If there was a link to the forum and community at the start page, I would use it as homepage in Chrome.

What I also don't like is that 'Advanced Search' gets black after clicking, but this will be an easy to fix CSS bug.

6 years ago

passstab
the only reason i don't use it is because it's incompatible with the eff's https everywhere extension

https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere

6 years ago

spyngamerman
if u would like to fix it yourself please use the guide here http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=142
hopes this helps anyone who is having problems :)

6 years ago

darmok_at-tanagra
The Mint search is horrible, and is reflecting badly on the distro. If I wanted to run nag-ware or ad-ware, I'd install windows.

Yes, I understand the custom search is a huge revenue stream, but can't you at least make this optional and not CRIPPLE the browser? Currently you have to jump through hoops to get the default google search back... and I still can't remove the Mint CSE search addon!

Forcing things on users like this is one way to NOT get my support. I would, however, feel more inclined to actually use the custom mint search if it was optional... But at least give me the choice!

(BTW, the mint home page is starting to look like a freaking link farm... I guess anyone who wants some "link juice" can donate $5 and get a link to their site, no matter how tacky it is.)

Sigh, things are starting to smell not so fresh in mint land...

6 years ago

d3Xt3r
I agree with the majority of the comments here. Please improve mint search. I understand that it's the biggest source of revenue but if you don't want to improve it atleast offer the end user the choice of their own engine. Even Microsoft is now forced to offer a choice of search engine in IE! It's a shame that Mint is forcing this upon innocent users. Makes Mint look very unprofessional.

If you need a webdev, beta tester or whatever assistance in this matter, I would be glad to offer my time and services. But please, please, please fix this soon - hopefully by Mint 11!

6 years ago

Ioseph
The mint-hijacks of google are what I don't like about mint. Everything else is ok. Come on Mint you can do better!  
6 years ago

AlbertP
@hasuin: The country redirect is done by Google itself, not by Mint.  
6 years ago

orionthehunter
It's the first thing I remove from a Mint installation. If it were at least laid out decently I wouldn't have to.  
6 years ago

hasuin
Please no-country-redirect-google.  
6 years ago

foggytown
This is the single biggest failure of Mint. If it was improved I would quit changing it. There is no elegance and certainly no freedom in the present implementation.  
6 years ago

grim
I dont think you should remove it, improving it though would be a good idea :\  
6 years ago

RobinJ
Just remove the "Custom Search", it's stupid and annoying.  
6 years ago

RobinJ
Just remove the "Custom Search", it's stupid and annoying.  
7 years ago

DanielSmedegaardBuus
I second this, if at all possible, whatever custom content is needed should be placed to either or both sides of your search results, as on a small laptop all you'll see above the fold is Mint stuff and an input field. This is the only reason that I install the regular Google accelerator in Firefox. And it sucks to do so, as it voids whatever help the packaged version would give the Mint project.  
7 years ago

daquirm
google apps like calculator don't work with custom toolbar..remove it...  
7 years ago

FunkyWhale
I second this idea. It should be made more appealing to users. The huge Linux Mint logo on the top pushes everything down, causing excessive white space, for starters...  
7 years ago

nipunsharp
IMPROVE IT!!  
7 years ago

Boringbytes
please improve the Mint Google search. The current search results page is difficult to read, ugly, and the returned results are often unrelated to the search query or do not list resources that I know are out there. Where is the advanced search option, or the display options button that should be visible on the page? They may be there, but if users cant find them they do no one any good. I'm a Very new Mint User, but already love this O.S. wouldn't it be great IF MInt's Google search were Even MORE appealing than Google.com's pages? I'd settle for the page just being readable, with returned results comprehensive and relevant to my query.  
7 years ago

a888
With Opera:

1. CTRL+F12 (Tools > Preferences > Search)
2. Click on "Google"
3. Edit
4. Details
5. Change "Address" with this one:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%s&sourceid=opera#=%i&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

7 years ago

tristan
I agree. Improve or remove!  
7 years ago

muninnhuginn
I have three problems with the Mint Custom Search:

1. I would have liked to have known it was going to be installed as part of setup (in the installation guide, somewhere?) so that I wouldn't have been quite so confused by its impact.

2. It hides the left-hand column of additional choices when I'm using Opera.

3. In Firefox, it prevents me from using the search enhancer I would like to use (True Knowledge), which was frustrating in the first instance as I assumed I'd failed to install the TK add-in, rather than it not being functional through no fault of mine.

I'm not sure it isn't also directing me to results from google.com rather than, for me the more relevant, google.co.uk.

I understand that this is a revenue source. I'd be more sympathetic if that were explained somewhere obvious.

7 years ago

mzaher
yes .... plz we want the default one  
7 years ago

ckristi
Mint Custom Google Search simply does not provide all the links that normal Google search returns. That's a pitty because I am almost always going to www.google.com for my searches in order to get relevant and up to date answers. And this doesn't help the Mint team at all. Please update this tool if it helps you to gain money from it, or otherwise just remove it.

7 years ago

na5h
I agree...I get much better search results when using the original Google Search. I WANT to use the Mint Custom Search, but it just doesn't seem to work as well as Google's. Now...I don't know so much about these things (so please don't get mad if this is a stupid question), but wouldn't it be possible to integrate the "real" Google search into the Mint Custom Search page? The Firefox start page and the Ubuntu start page both have a "real" Google search, don't they?  
7 years ago

Gliktch
+1

One of the things I dislike most about google is the way that when I search for information about a computer problem, it constantly shows results from 5+ years ago, and I usually quickly change to "within last year" - I can't get the results I want using Mint custom search, so it goes byebye.

You can't make money off it if people don't use it!

Also, seconded @ the themes/styles/GM scripts etc having trouble with it... I don't see a reason why it has to be much different from the original Google layout. If you had an exact copy of the original google search page, with your own ads, I would totally use that.

7 years ago

beansandjeans
I would like to use the Mint search as often as possible, to do my part to help Mint bring in ad-revenue, but sometimes it just doesn't work right. Doesn't always show as many results as the regular Google search. Some of what other people are complaining about - like the big ads at the top of the results page, might be required in order for Mint to get the ad money they do. But anything that could be done to improve the search without reducing revenue would be a good thing. Or maybe even if there is a bit less revenue per search then Mint would still come out ahead if more people actually use it?...  
7 years ago

baffle-boy
i actually removed that... mint gets money for us using it?? how? i guess i shouldn't have done that. so yeah i promote this.  
7 years ago

j2100j
they suld..butt.slow>>>>>>>>>  
7 years ago

j2100j
yee

7 years ago

j2100j
that true!!!!!!!!!!!!!1  
7 years ago

Adidi
Agree too  
7 years ago

Glowiej
I agree! The only thing about Mint I don't like, is the custom search. Sometimes I intentionally go to the Google.com web page instead of using the horrible custom search.

Improve it and I'll be an even happier Mint user. :)

7 years ago

brad
Thanks for all your support people!Maybe Mint will finally put this idea (which I have noticed on the forums and in many other places) to practice.  
7 years ago

farnaby
I absolutely agree. In the mint search, some important information is missing like the number of pages found. Plus, tools like the very handy google calculator don't work.  
7 years ago

Joeasaurus
I find the results usually aren't as relevant to me as a standard google search would be too. Good idea on keeping it in and sprucing it up though!  
7 years ago

Lopau
That's a good idea. I can't find the link for Advanced Search.  
7 years ago

Xtigyro
Absolutely agree.  
7 years ago

madeyes
Yes I agree. This is the only thing I don't like about mint.  
7 years ago

mikefreeman
My biggest frustration with it is that it doesn't work with my Google-specific addons (such as SearchPreview for adding page thumbnails). I like the layout of the official Google page better, and don't need all the extra links at the very top of the page. +1 from me!  
7 years ago

DJCrashdummy
I'm not proud but the first thing i'm doing on every fresh mint-installation (before installing languages or updates) is to remove "mint-search-addon" and "mint-stylish-addon"!
I think the custom mint-search must provide at least the same functions like the normal google-search (vids, pics,... language, filters,...) or even more! another way to make people want to use the mint-search is to provide a "better/mintier" gui or some other benefit!!!

7 years ago

gotjazz
also it'd be great to have the left bar with filtering options from google available there - you know like only show recent matches or ones in language x etc.....
promoting!

7 years ago

Centaur
I totally agree. The Linux Mint Custom Search page looks crap. It should be minimalistic and resemble Google's own search results.

This might be of some help:
http://code.google.com/apis/customsearch/docs/ui.html
http://code.google.com/apis/customsearch/docs/ui_xml.html

7 years ago

thx1138
Why do you think it's ugly? It doesn't look that different compared to doing some research with googles main page.  
7 years ago

heltonbiker
I am so unsatisfied by the overall look and feel of mint custom search that the first thing I do when fine tuning a fresh mint install is to disable it. +1 for the idea.  
7 years ago

begrebela
I think they earn a little bit more by donations :) By the way I'm promoting this idea.  

Other ideas from brad