They offer different flash templates with latest features.
Login

Forgot password
Register
Back

Add packages to LiveDVD to run when booting from itself only (not to install)

Created 8 years ago, edited 8 years ago.
Status changed 7 years ago
Author:

heltonbiker
Implemented
  Score:
15 votes
Idea:

One of the greatest advantages of LiveXXX (be it usb, cd or dvd) is to have a bootable portable full system.

At least once, I had some hardware problem, and ended up working directly from LiveCD, just to finish some tight schedule job in time. Also, when we have to use a friend's machine, boot a familiar system could be great.

We are having a lot of ideas suggesting to add this and that package by default, and I guess it tends to create bloated and unfocused system package lists. In the other hand, if we boot from Live and need a package that is not there, it could be a pain in that place.

PERHAPS, if there's nothing in contrary, the LiveDVD could have some extra packages (office tools, system tools, multimedia, image and video processing, etc.) intended to RUN FROM LIVE MEDIA only. Upon install, these stuff would be kept off by default.

Or, maybe, an optional dialog screen could offer some extra stuff to be installed from disk, which could do a lot where or when internet connection could be an issue.

Comments:

7 years ago

RayWoods
Looks like the Do It Yourself (DIY) is the route to take here.

New > Implemented

8 years ago

Xyie
Upside: Robust LiveDVD for Live media systems
Downside: Skewed vision of what installed system looks like, larger download size for .iso

I see what you're getting at, but I think remastering is probably the better route for now, and yeah, another trick worth learning.

8 years ago

heltonbiker
The idea would be more to download the iso already mastered, and not to master it after already installed, and then install again. But remastersys seems another trick worth learning, for sure!  
8 years ago

Gpig
Remastersys has been a great tool, perhaps it could serve as a base for what you want to see?  
8 years ago

RayWoods
It would be nice to tailor the Live CD to each person so, with the USB creator you can select applications on top of an ISO file.  

Other ideas from heltonbiker