[mintInstall] add more sub categories!

rainserpent
  7 years ago
  Selected

I love the software manager idea. Clicking on games brought up four sub-categories with less than 50 selections in each. Clicking on programing or accessories brought up over a thousand listings.

It would be great if these could be arranged a little better. Those who know what they are looking for will not have a problem, then again, they will probably just use the command line.
Latest comments
mentalo 9 years ago

The principle of users rating each application is a great idea in order to help people searching their way into thousands of packages.
But, first, because statistically, reliability comes when more reviews will have been added, there should be more promotion about making everyone of us a reviewer.
Second, this rating is totally useless when you are offline.
So why, not keep this rating upon the great job of packages sorting that have been done in lucid lynx ?

asymmetros 9 years ago

Yes, its quite difficulty trying to find your way between hundreds or thousands of applications. Subcategories, like "softwares" or "libraries" may be very helpful.

PS: alexio, nice wiki

heltonbiker 10 years ago

Most times I end up searching with Synaptic, for two reasons:
1) or the search becomes too restricted inside a category (some packages seem to be listed in synaptic but not on the software manager);
2) the searched list becomes so crowded it ends up being more effective to look for them in synaptic.

Also, I think there should be a distinction between "softwares", "libraries", "packages", "plugin-packs", "codec-packs", "suites", etc. That is missing in Synaptic and could bring a lot more users "by default" to the Software Manager.

dragonapocalypse 10 years ago

I really like the idea about the filtering GUI and command line apps

Alexio 10 years ago

I could help with the categories as I created a few years ago a small portable wiki with such categories. Just click on the link to see "My Software Library".

Alexio 10 years ago

There should also be a filter to separate the GUI apps from the command-line apps.