Add "Recently used programs" to MintMenu (similar to Windows XP)

heltonbiker
  9 years ago
  Selected

After I got the idea and got used to it, the feature of listing most used applications from Windows XP menu helped a lot. It makes unnecessary to configure an important part of the menu, since it is a kind of a "favourites" section, but which has intelligence.

Some times of my life, I spent a lot with messaging and web surfing, so Pidgin and Firefox were always on top.

During some work projects, Autocad, Solidworks and InDesign were on top.

And so on.
Latest comments
RayWoods 7 years ago

Yes, I like this one...

New > Considered

blueXrider 8 years ago

Yes it should be added

MintMenu> Preferences> Options>

trollboy 8 years ago

Nice idea but it should be an optional plugin.

DJCrashdummy 8 years ago

sounds like an interesting idea!
BUT i will only see this as an optional plugin! - so you maybe can choose all programs and favorites and/or recently used programs (for those who are too lazy or unexperienced to setup their favorites)!
--> this will maybe help some newbies coming from windows, but personally i won't use it! - so please only optional!!!

SimonTS 8 years ago

I can see the benefits of this to some people, but I personally don't want it. I am quite capable of organising the apps that I really want onto my 'Favourites' pane, or with keyboard shortcuts.
If this becomes a reality, then please allow it to be an option, the same as the 'Recent Documents' is within MintMenu. If you make it a default then you will just end up having to release an update due to all the people who complain that they don't like it.

mikefreeman 8 years ago

Sounds like a great idea!

sixthsense 8 years ago

it would be really so nice to have this feature handy. most users only use 3-5 programs routinely and several documents everyday. digging your favorite program every time you log in to your computer is counter productive.

I hope that his get implemented soon

MestreLion 8 years ago

Mint Menu is THE reason i switched to Mint (from Ubuntu 10.04). But i still miss the automatic "most used" apps feature of Windows XP/7.

The "Favorites" menu from Mint is great, but its NOT the same: the *automatic* feature from XP is what really makes it shine. Its boring to customize, would be MUCH better if it had some sort of intelligence to auto-add (and auto-sort) most used apps.

We could still use pin/unpin, just like current menu does.

RedGhost 8 years ago

I don't think it is necessary as you have the menu search function.

Xyie 8 years ago

This would be great if you had the ability to exchange it with the "favorites" section, since they perform similar tasks.

vipek 9 years ago

I think it's a great idea.