They offer different flash templates with latest features.
Login

Forgot password
Register
Back

Fix fonts in Firefox

Created 8 years ago, edited 8 years ago.
Status changed 7 years ago
Author:

vipek
Selected
  Score:
20 votes
Idea:

I'm a web designer. And there's one thing which is pissing me off. In Ubuntu (and Mint) fonts in Firefox look different than in Windows. They are rendered differently. Am I the only one who sees it? In my opinion it is a huge bug. We are trying to create OS which will compete with Windows on desktops, but at the very beginning all the Web pages look different than they should.

One day I found a solution:
sudo rm /etc/fonts/conf.d/10-hinting-slight.conf
sudo ln -s /etc/fonts/conf.avail/10-hinting-full.conf /etc/fonts/conf.d/

...and this two lines of code are the first I have to write after I install OS :)

Can't this be fixed?

Comments:

6 years ago

alexisg
Great idea, it works!!!  
7 years ago

RayWoods
New > Consider  
8 years ago

heltonbiker
Man, I messed up with KDE (always used only gnome), and the fonts got screwed in firefox. After some trials and errors, used your commands... And the worked! Thanks!  
8 years ago

vipek
I agree. I think it can be made by some kind of post-install script, which would be automatically launched right after Mint installation.
I would not rely on the Ubuntu team. They still have critical errors which are not even assigned to anyone, after over two years :(

8 years ago

JamezQ
Well, the Mint Team still has the power to change them.  
8 years ago

heltonbiker
It seems you didn't actually fixed something, but actually removed a configuration file, and created a link to other configuration file.

If you go to Appearence settings, there are some options to change the way Ubuntu or Mint handle font rendering, perhaps some other configuration (not the default) might be the one you want.

Besides, these are ideas on things that don't depend on Mint Team, but on Ubuntu team, or Gnome team, perhaps.

Other ideas from vipek