Create "Request Tutorial" section

heltonbiker
  9 years ago
  Under dev. review

There seems to be a lot of people able to write nice tutorials, ans surely a lot of people, like me, needing some.

At tutorials page, there could be a section named "Tutorial Requests" and a button to "request tutorial".

This would make the whole thing look a bit like the "unread/unanswered posts" section.

Of course, anyone could write the tutorial himself feels like, but the tutorial activity could be tailored by real necessities still better.
Latest comments
dagon 7 years ago

Votes in favour.

new -> considered

mikefreeman 8 years ago

What about adding a couple buttons to the forums: [Submit a tutorial] [Request a tutorial]

That way, the forums are the first place people look, and when they come up with something that is a common issue and could be useful for everyone to know about, then it can be moved into a tutorial.

blueXrider 8 years ago

Link to the forums "request help"

Elisa 8 years ago

It's very useful but there is a exception of that what Xyie has written:

there could be requested (and by LinuxMINT GURUs :) then improved) some special or very specific tutorials which subject is too complicated than let newbies to study up that....

Better I say an example to understand what I mean:
I'd like to place a tutorial request for TOR technology and its closed apps like how-to vidalia and TorK customization.
Why ?
Any security technology as well as Tor (and its important apps like TorK and vidalia) meets a saying "All Or Nothing".
I mean you must know All about that. I f you don't know really All about that and therefore you cannot set and customize that stuff, you know Nothing. There is no place for any "middle status".

As some users might know, TorK is very comfortable for using Tor. Vidalia for gnome users is not very handy (and mostly AFAIK TorK doesn't work properly in other desktops than KDE :-() that's why it would be very NEEDED to make cool tutorial about Tor - OR -> it is really absolutely useless to place Tor in repo, the more AFAIK there are old packages in repo...

Xyie 8 years ago

Could be very useful, but we might want to bury it a bit so as to encourage new users to seek out help in a way more conducive to what they are needing at the time.

remoulder 9 years ago

Maybe, but by introducing a transactional element, you are effectively recreating the forums albeit in a limited sense. I'm not sure that was Clem's intention for this site. Better imo for users to request help on the forums which is better suited to 2 way communications, and then maybe post a tutorial here.

SeanBest 9 years ago

Asking for help in the forums gets a specific question answered. Whereas a tutorial is usually more in depth and covers the entire process. Forums I see lot of people doing something, but get stuck on one part. Tutorials listed on this site seem to be more comprehensive.

While not a top priority in my opinion, I can see this being helpful.

remoulder 9 years ago

Isn't this the same as requesting help in the forums?

RayWoods 9 years ago

Yes, this is a MUST HAVE!