They offer different flash templates with latest features.
Login

Forgot password
Register
Back

We have too few screenshots!

Created 8 years ago, edited 8 years ago.
Status changed 4 years ago
Author:

vipek
Implemented
  Score:
48 votes
Idea:

My idea is to make a campaign to promote adding screenshots to our software! IMO 99% of our software doesn't have a screenshot.

First of all - on this community site - where is the information about what screenshots I've suggested? There's no such information :)
I think there should be another section in MY PLACES menu called "My screenshots" or "My software". ("My software" would contain info about my app reviews AND my suggested screenshots)

Secondly, there should be some banner on the HOME page, which would encourage people to suggest a screenshot then they see that application doesn't have one.

What do YOU people think about that? :)

Comments:

4 years ago

clem
We're at 10% now, most of the packages for which a screenshot makes sense have one.  
4 years ago

chrisreuter
Thank you, I agree, our brain loves visuals!
But let's take not any kind but good screenshots!

7 years ago

Boringbytes
We do still need more screen-shots. Packages with screen-shots are still at about 1%.  
7 years ago

Viroscope
Screen Shots are a major selling point for most users. I think 99% of Linux software is free so it's not try before you buy it's look before you buy.  
7 years ago

zaenal1234
true, with screenshots, we can imagine/describe the type/kind of software. so this is a good idea.  
7 years ago

Tonya
"My screenshots" in "MY PLACES" is a very good idea.

7 years ago

robbrown
http://www.flickr.com/photos/robbrownaustralia/5548797255/sizes/l/in/photostream/  
8 years ago

guv999
I agree and have contributed several already - as dagon says below, even terminal apps benefit from a screen shot. Would it be possible to do a blitz and assign a team of users specific apps to take screen shots of? I would very happily contribute to this  
8 years ago

dagon
I think this is important really. Even programs you run from the terminal benefits from a screenshot. It shows you what to expect from the program and it just looks good. Even if you don't have an actual screenshot I think you could have an official logotype or whatever. Something for the eye.  
8 years ago

m4daredsun
+1 also to thx1138. Points for uploaded screenshots would definitely help  
8 years ago

m4daredsun
Yes, we do need more screenshots! +1

@everybody: read vipek's tutorial and start suggesting your screenshots

8 years ago

Elisa
How is it possible to contribute/help with screenshots? I like Shutter app which is awesome for making and uploading screens.. And I am crazy about making screens, see forum... :lol:  
8 years ago

Boringbytes
We need more screenshots! I totally agree. Really, I don't see why there cant be more than 1 screenshot for an application. (sometimes you really need to see more than one view, to get an idea what to expect from a new program.) Maybe a banner or blurb on the main page would help encourage people to suggest screenshots.
I like the idea of a "My software" link in my places, to let you track your reviews,comments, and screenshots, or post the new ones you want to make.

8 years ago

vipek
99% is not only my opinion. If you go to: Community -> Software, you can read: "Packages with a screenshot: 0%" :)

BTW I think there also should be info in "Latest events" on the Home page when somebody suggests a screenshot (or maybe when it is accepted by moderator?).

8 years ago

vipek
I see that only logged-in users can suggest a screenshot, so there's a big chance that the information about our previous suggests exists in the database.  
8 years ago

vipek
@thx1138: great idea!  
8 years ago

thx1138
Users should get some user points for uploading screenshots. Maybe that's the kind of encouragement that's needed ;).  
8 years ago

alchemist19
yeah right. we never have the software screenshot. maybe i'll support you about this  
8 years ago

pbmuk
I think we do have to do more to encourage screenshots. I've done a few but I can't remember all of them (some were for software I checked out but then removed). It would be good to see all your activity on the site: "My Software", with screenshots and reviews, and also a "My Comments" section. This information could be made available in your profile section as an alternative.  

Other ideas from vipek