Cron GUI (i.e. Scheduled Tasks) in System Settings

fuzzyanalysis
  6 years ago
  Considered

It would be nice to have a user interface for scheduled tasks in LM, perhaps as a category in the System Settings tab, for easier configuration. Something like a cron gui, for example. I would use it quite frequently for running security checks and various other tasks.
Latest comments
jimsvarkey 2 years ago

Agree. I frequently require Cron to run updatedb. I Googled and found Gnome scheduler, but it does not work now.

jahid_0903014 6 years ago

I will never again type the phrase 'anti-virus' when talking about Linux. Lesson learned.

LOL
I am pretty much sure, some of the negative votes came from that phrase...

friTTe 6 years ago

Agree, easy for everyone

fuzzyanalysis 6 years ago

I will never again type the phrase 'anti-virus' when talking about Linux. Lesson learned.

Hammer459 6 years ago

True that when you run applications (Apps are in mobile world) designed for Windows in WINE that emulates Windows you are potentially at risk for a virus. But as you only run specialized programs there you are not very likely as most virus infection comes from websurf and email that you should run in the way more secure Linux native environment.
Also note that Clam et al. are not as up to date on virus signatures so any Windows downloads should be checked with a Windows anti-virus program anyway.

The point though...
Your example has likely busted the acceptance of this otherwise good idea.

fuzzyanalysis 6 years ago

I was merely using anti-virus checks as an example. The main point I wanted to make was that scheduled tasks could be made easier through a GUI in LM.

Apps run via WINE can be susceptible to virii. See "Myth Busting: Is Linux Immune to Viruses?" (https://www.linux.com/learn/tutorials/284124-myth-busting-is-linux-immune-to-viruses)

jahid_0903014 6 years ago

Agreed...

But why use anti-virus

Hammer459 6 years ago

I can agree that a comfortable GUI interface for both "cron" and "at" would be nice for less experienced users.

"at" = run a command once at some later time

But why are you running antivirus? A proper security scheme is more than adequate in a Linux machine. And ClamAV etc only handles Win-virus anyway AFAIK.