They offer different flash templates with latest features.
Login

Forgot password
Register
Back

What about translations in MInt website?

Created 3 years ago, edited 3 years ago.
Status changed 3 years ago
Author:

JOPETA
Considered
  Score:
14 votes
Idea:

You can not select your native language to view website pages and Google translate it is not optimized for that.

There is no Spanish Official community ((Local communities=Language communities is a wrong equation, in my opinion, in a global world) maybe it wont be necessary if Spanish and other language forum pages would have their own language layouts and, maybe topics structure (i.e.Tutorials, Hardware, Software, Desktops, etc.

Minimum, Announcements section in each language forums, need to be translated in order to help no English users to understand how to get help, rules and other useful information about forums.

Comments:

3 years ago

MagicMint
@jahid_0903014: Believe me, there are a lot :-(  
3 years ago

jahid_0903014
That's too much work and for a petty little thing. I can't think of a computer user who doesn't understand basic communicative English.  
3 years ago

JOPETA
Can't see Australian forum in http://forums.linuxmint.com. but sure it is there in "Other Languages..." page. Hope you can use your nice Aussie Keyboard. :))  
3 years ago

fred_B
Good idea!
I'll translate it to Aussie English. :)

3 years ago

MagicMint
@JOPETA: You’re maybe right, but the moderators seem to be busy enough with their respective forums, and there is nobody dedicated to the task of maintaining the software of the sites alone. I wouldn’t go so far as to say that all buttons have to be translated, but some general instructions could be at least.  
3 years ago

JOPETA
Taking into account Mint's languages forums are 17 don't see the need to be translated to Esperanto. Maybe idea must to be circumscribed to forum Board Index (seventeen) and/or Languages forums to its own language. In last case all the work related to Announcements is almost done and depending on the page structure, translation of labels (buttons, tabs, links...) or fixed text seams not to be a huge task.

In any case, nobody is talking about that works must to be executed by Mint staff but in a collaborative way with users and volunteers like me. I think it is as important (if not more) as helping a user with a single problem.

3 years ago

MagicMint
It’d be such a huge task that you won’t even come close to translate anything you want in all the languages the users of Linux Mint speak all over the world…  
3 years ago

JOPETA
I was trying to answer a question in Spanish forum. Is Linux Mint planing to incorporate language selection on website?. I think LM is not planning to do so becasue I know it is not easy/cheep.

Maybe a whole website translation it is not possible but talking about forum pages, many of us that colaborates in forum belive that effort on translate main forum layout or Language forum pages is minor than repeat again and again how to upload attachment because text in buttons and tabs are in English and Anouncements are in English too.

In other hand, all translation we did or will do in future will fall in broken sack because it is not possible to keep then in the top (unless moderator change topic's icon).

3 years ago

Hammer459
The main community site cannot even be maintained because there is noone to do it. Setting up another? Seems like an issue  
3 years ago

Hammer459
The forums.linuxmint.com have some forums that are language specific. There are also some translated sites, most of them dies soon since it is a big job to keep them updated. Remember that Mint is completely operated on volounteer base and there is not "someone else" to ask.  

Other ideas from JOPETA

No other ideas.