Startup and login profilers

bernd-wechner
  4 years ago
  Under review

This may already exist and perhaps the idea is simply to make it easy to find. But the idea is this, I'm interested to know, when logging in is slow (as it often is) where the time is going. For that matter the whole startup process would be interesting to profile too.

Do such tools already exist? If so, where and perhaps it would be nice to make them easy to find and digest on a per startup or per login basis.

I found the syslog for example which on my slow login just now is full of:

NetworkManager[1079]: error requesting auth for org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.settings.modify.hostname: (8) GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.LimitsExceeded: The maximum number of pending replies per connection has been reached

which I may want to diagnose further. But the basic idea remains. A nice user friendly manner of profiling the start to logged in sequence of events, where the time goes and is being spend.
Latest comments
MagicMint 4 years ago

@bernd-wechner: As you can see, anything is hard to find if someone doesn’t know (yet) how to find something in the first place ;-)

Hammer459 4 years ago

As for the idea 200 the Community was written by @clem to address the issue of community related discussion whereas the Forums is a standard software. Not the same technology and database and thus it is not "a simple thing can't be done in a minute by an admin". It requires a complete rewrite of the Community site, and when there is noone to even maintain the code I find it unlikely that the code will be rewritten anytime soon.

Hammer459 4 years ago

@bernd-wechner it is extremely easy to find the Forums from the community site! Centered at the footer of every page on the Community site there are 3 links, the left one is labeled "Forums"...
There are several profiling tools in Linux, but I am pretty sure you have an issue as I do not see your error nor do I find login slow. In fact since Installing 17.2 both boot and login has become even faster that before.
So turn to Forums and discuss your problem and it will likely soon be resolved.

bernd-wechner 4 years ago

Will do, but the idea stands, to make this easy to find, do and use ... as opposed to something difficult. That is, make it an integral part of the MINT experience, transparency regarding performance. Everyone has questions some time.

Also, it would rock if the forum were easy to find from the community pages. See:

http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/view/200

Five years and no action! Does not inspire confidence that such a simple thing can't be done in a minute by an admin on the community site, a simple link?

remoulder 4 years ago

Please post support questions in the forums if not sure