default application to be added in linux mint

rt1yrru
  3 years ago
  Considered

default application suggestion

1. aria2c - downloader , (all flavours)
2./3. kvm/qemu - virtual (all flavours)
4. gparted - partioning default , present in live iso but is purged after installation (all flavours)
5. Audio Recorder - no default audio recorder in mint (all flavours)
6. video recorder -no default video recorder in mint (all flavours)
7. remmina - remote desktop tool (all flavours)
8.krita - better optimaztion then gimp (kde)
9. kdenlive - video editing tool (kde)
10./11. FF Multi Converter + ffmpeg - audio / video conversion tool (all flavours)
12. ClamTk - antivirus , prevention is better than cure (all flavours)
13. onboard - on screen keyboard (all flavours)
14. git (all flavours)
15./16. gcc+g++ - to eliminate sudo apt-get install g++ build-essentials (all flavours)

17./18./19. wine +mono+gecko - try and windows software, games in linux. build your own c# program in mint , sudo apt-get install wine mono mono-complete gecko
Latest comments
mikefreeman 3 years ago

@Hammer459 - I only say that because Mint is a great starter distro for those coming from other systems, usually Windows.

While yes, there are amazing Linux-native alternatives, there are some software that doesn't have a very good Linux alternative. This is usually in the area of games, but there are other pieces of software where the Linux equivalent just isn't quite as good yet, or isn't as comfortable for the new user yet. I've had my attempts to get someone to try Linux occasionally thwarted by the fact that they are already a little unsure about trying a new OS, but then they don't have any of the software they're used to using. That's enough to make them run back to Windows. Wine would help alleviate that.

Again, it's easily installed, so it's not a huge problem that it's not default. It would just be handy for the above case.

Hammer459 3 years ago

@mikefreeman why should wine be default? most windows software has equal or better Linux based alternatives. And it would annoy me seriously downloading and installing that by default.

@lib2know when I wrote my comment the numbers were different 7&8 are now 8&9 and 4,5 are now 5,6. 8,9 are now 9,10 etc. Yes, you can install any kde software if you also install about 85% of kde.
Contrary to what you think I have state of the art hardware and run plenty of software. And writing the kind of stuff I do professionally would not be possible without knowledge from the nineties as well as the very latest knowledge from this year. So preinstalling the old and some useless software you promote would be stepping back and thus I am not fighting novelty. When you have something meaningful to say let me know :-)

Pretty much the only thing worth supporting in this is to let gparted remain installed after distro install. But the moderators have rejected this idea long before it was updated.

mikefreeman 3 years ago

Personally, I don't need many of those things (#1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 12, 13, 14, 15) and so would not want them as defaults. And for those thing in the list I do need (2, 8, 9, 10), I prefer other apps to the ones listed, especially the kde ones, as I don't like kde and these apps would not fit in (visuals and UI usage standards) with the usual Gnome-based environments of Mint. So this list being installed as default would just annoy me. I do agree that wine should be default. But, if it's not, it's easy to install, so no big deal there.

lib2know 3 years ago

This is not an idea ;)
It seems to be 17 very good ideas !
It deserves to be split in 17 ideas to discuss it in detail.
I fully support: 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 13, 17 (wine, along with a couple of windows freeware)
I don't know: 1, 9, gecko; 3, 11, 16 are missing
I decline only: git, gcc, g++, mono.

For the troll who wants to prove he has not a clue:
7. Remmina is written in GTK+ and fits better to Cinnamon, MATE, Xfce; KDE is written in Qt. KDE applications can be installed easily on any LinuxMint flavour, the packages are just some hundreds GB bigger (only if it's the first KDE application to install). That wouldn't be a problem, except someone relies on equipment and knowledge back from the nineties and fights every day against any novelty.

Hammer459 3 years ago

This has been suggested many times. The default install is what "most users" need.
Most users have no need for pretty much any of the suggestions. Install what you want!
As for 7&8 on your list they only work on kde.
As for 11 if you just follow the recommended safety rules it is pretty much impossible to get virus on a Linux computer.
As for 2, 13 & 14 most general desktop users are not ever going to develop anything, the rest of us can install what we need better than any default.
As for 4,5,8 & 9 most users don't edit sound and video, and those of us who do have our strong preferences.

So, demoted