Mint Trinity Desktop Environment (TDE) edition -- for VERY old computers

jan_kowal33
  5 years ago
  Considered

Trinity Desktop Environment is a continuation of KDE 3 which can provide full desktop experience on really old hardware. Here are the system requirements for Q4OS which ships TDE by default:

Pentium 300MHz CPU / 128MB RAM / 3GB disk

With such low requirements, lots of config options, and a handful of native apps, I think that TDE can seriously compete with Xfce or LXDE. Thus, with Linux Mint-specific improvements and features, TDE could be a perfect fit for all those Windows XP and Vista netbooks and laptops gathering dust.

BEFORE COMMENTING I SUGGEST YOU INSTALL Q4OS (or other distro supporting TDE) ON YOUR OLDEST COMPUTER AT HOME

TDE Homepage: http://trinitydesktop.org

Q4OS review: http://www.everydaylinuxuser.com/2015/09/an-everyday-linux-user-review-of-q4os.html

Latest comments
jose_manuel 5 years ago

I like to Trinity Desktop. For fans of KDE makes us remember very good times. I will promote this idea !! Mint Trinity !!

jan_kowal33 5 years ago

@Hammer459 I realize that people ask for various DEs. Still, I have tested many lightweight environments and I'm yet to find one which can be configured so easily (via menus and not text files) and can save resources so well. It's also very similar to Windows too, what I guess would be nice for a user-friendly distro such as Mint. Just check out Q4OS in your free time, Hammer.

And I'm not saying that the developers should leave everything and start working on the TDE edition right now. :) My intention was that they would look into this some time in the future.

Also, I've just realized that TDE is for KDE what MATE is for Gnome. Good old times... Some love for veteran KDE users? :P

keepitsimple 5 years ago

Really like the TDE... well, if you love your antique PC, there are many possibilities... might be that those (...and I love these oldtimers, too) are not in the target group of linux mint... OK for me :)

dknight 5 years ago

You can install any DE you want. For example, I like Openbox so I installed and configured it over Cinnamon Edition and happy.

Hammer459 5 years ago

There has been numerous ideas suggesting this or that DE. All rejected, not because of their qualities, but because there are simply not enough resources to maintain more desktops.