Select Cinnamon theme and accent colour (variations) separately

coitus
  1 week ago
  Under review

In the current theme selector, every variation of every theme (Aqua, Blue, Brown, Gray etc) is shown separately, resulting in a huge menu in which most options are very similar (https://prnt.sc/si0m2v - note also how the Mint-Y-Dark set is in the middle of the Mint-Y set). It would be much easier to navigate this menu if all variations of Mint-X, Mint-Y and Mint-Y-Dark respectively were merged into 3 menu entries, and the accent colour was selected separately.

Latest comments
coitus 1 week ago

It's good that you're bringing these points up, I like having this idea challenged and detailing what I mean. Yes, if this change would be implemented, the MATE and Xfce versions would need changes too. I've checked https://github.com/linuxmint/mint-themes and it seems these themes also work in the other DEs, I didn't know that, thanks for bringing it up.

MrEen 1 week ago

And you've brought up another (potential) issue. Running "cinnamon-settings themes" is only good for Cinnamon users (obviously) so MATE and Xfce users require something different. Anyway, like I said I'm not trying to argue against the idea, so I'll bow out of the discussion at this point.

coitus 1 week ago

Then again, if we're talking about good practices, the current implementation is breaking the DRY principle like crazy, the theme folders for each variation are nearly identical copies of each other.

coitus 1 week ago

From a programming perspective, I think the biggest problem will be consistency (and having special cases). So not so much technical, but in terms of respecting good programming practices. There will be themes given a special status (Mint-X with accent colors, and Mint-Y with both accent colors, and the Darker and Dark variations), for which additional menus would be displayed after they are selected. Either these menus only show for these themes, or, for consistency's sake, every Cinnamon theme will be allowed to implement multiple variations which will then plug into this theme variation selection method.

coitus 1 week ago

@MrEen I looked a bit into it, and the themes will actually be presented that way in the welcome screen on Mint 20 (see this blog post https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3890). So it seems doable. But my idea was actually about the theme selection menu (the one you get by running "cinnamon-settings themes"), not the welcome screen.

MrEen 1 week ago

@Ephata, I'm not arguing against the idea. I'm just pointing out it's probably a pretty big ask. I could be wrong about that. Also, Mint has to work with the Ubuntu base, so that might play a big role as well. Again, I could also be wrong about that.

Ephata 1 week ago

@MrEen  Deepin et KDE Plasma (et d'autres distributions) le font déjà. Alors pourquoi eux y arrivent, et pourquoi Linux Mint Cinnamon n'y arriverait pas?
Si Linux Mint ne le fait pas, il va vite devenir has been. C'est sur des détails comme ça que l'on se plante des balles dans les pieds.

MrEen 1 week ago

I don't know that it's possible. Each is it's own theme, with it's own folder in /usr/share/themes, and the list is populated from that plus the folders in ~/.themes. If it is possible, I imagine it might take a lot of work to implement. Also, the list is alphabetized which is why Mint-Y-Dark is before Mint-Y-Orange, but after Mint-Y-Blue for example.

Ephata 1 week ago

100% d'accord