System Recovery Mint

Bunstonious
  12 years ago
  Considered

I think it might be a good idea to roll a "system recovery" mint that runs entirely from RAM (lightweight).

It wouldn't need to have Desktop Apps, and ideally use something like LXDE or something similar. Basically it would ideally have all the useful disk/partitioning tools, Windows recovery tools (for use at work, and when I need to fix PC's) and various other sysadmin / recovery tools (maybe even clonezilla).

I would be happy to pitch in and even roll the distro given some instructions on rolling a cd.
Latest comments
RayWoods 10 years ago

There are plenty of distributions which are specifically designed for this purpose and it is not in the design criteria of Lint Mint. I think we should let the Linux Mint Developers get on with what they do best, making a stable, easy to use desktop environment that works.

New > Rejected

Bunstonious 12 years ago

I like the Jigdo approach.

canci 12 years ago

I would be more in favour of just a separate boot option on the live CD to do just that thing. Also, if the whole live CD is too much, maybe there should be an easy way on the website to just build it via jigdo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jigdo

Bunstonious 12 years ago

Perhaps my point was not made properly...

I am not looking to "replace" the current sets of administration tools but I have found that I have to have many CDs lying around because they are all missing things that the others have, just simple tools for the administrators that wish to make the administration tools as easy and as complete as possible. Start with a lightweight LXDE base, then add as many of the most useful administration tools while removing some of the heavier "desktop based" apps installed by default.

And you may consider it a waste of time, but I think that having an easy to use tool that has the same "Mint feel" is not a waste of time, especially if others offer to put time and effort into it.

remoulder 12 years ago

Why do you think it would be a good idea, what would a stripped down version of mint offer that other recovery distro's don't already? Providing something like this is not the rationale behind mint - "Linux Mint's purpose is to produce an elegant, up to date and comfortable GNU/Linux desktop distribution".

Vincent 12 years ago

If all you want is a stripped-down Live CD environment with recovery tools, I'd simply use GParted Live, System Rescue CD, a Knoppix live CD, etc.; there are tons of similar tools out there, and creating a new one that does the same thing is a waste of time and effort from the dev team.