Auto Mount Partitions On Startup..

gaurav_shah
  9 years ago
  Considered

it would be good if linux auto mounts windows and linux partitions on startup...

just would add extra points to linux....

along with security,robustness and utilities..linux should also provide ease of use...

Latest comments
bernd-wechner 4 years ago

Seems like a duplicate of:

http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/view/2848

viking777 7 years ago

hinto's reply says it all.

Idea marked as rejected (which doesn't mean it is actually rejected, just that the people who matter are less likely to look at it).

hinto 8 years ago

When you install Mint, it asks you to set mount points in addition to / (and swap, and /home if needed). You can specify any there, and they will be added to /etc/fstab.

Twiguard 8 years ago

Well for example me. I have a NTFS partition for images, movies, music and stuff and I use Wally for changing my desktop wallpaper. The pictures are taken from the NTFS but if it isn't mounted the directory even doesn't show in the app so I have to search for it and set it manually again. I have the fstab file edited so it's working properly but you know if external devices can be mounted automatically after start why not internal?

RobinJ 8 years ago

I wouldn't even want that, I chose to mount one seperate partition at startup, but I do not need or want my Windows installation partition to be mounted on startup. Does it hurt to just go to your file manager and open the partition once so that it is mounted? :p

RobinJ 8 years ago

I wouldn't even want that, I chose to mount one seperate partition at startup, but I do not need or want my Windows installation partition to be mounted on startup.

heltonbiker 9 years ago

If it would not "hurt" any underlying principle, I think it would not hurt to add some checkbox somewhere, and perhaps a dialog box introducing this difference to users coming from windows.

gaurav_shah 9 years ago

hey ray because of ur comment i changed my title and description...

gaurav_shah 9 years ago

ya ..ya...right ray...i agree....

RayWoods 9 years ago

Why stop at NTFS and FAT partitions? Why not automatically mount all drives/partitions?

gaurav_shah 9 years ago

i agree with you mustafa...

mustafa 9 years ago

I always wanted this in every distribution I try because most users I know use both Windows and Linux, so auto-mounting FAT and NTFS partitions is a very helpful feature and it doesn't have any bad effect on the distro.

gaurav_shah 9 years ago

anyways thanx alexio for ur help...

gaurav_shah 9 years ago

look..first of all linux is hard to learn for normal users....thats where windows wins..everyone can use it with ease....

if linuxmint were able to auto-mount itself then it would just be a added benifit to linuxmint itself...

not everyone will search the internet for guidance for automounting..
and do modifications himself/herself..

Alexio 9 years ago

See the "How to auto mount disk at start-up" tutorial at http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/92