Account for packages (MintSync)

CBindahouse
  9 years ago
  Considered

If, for example, you wish to upgrade a computer or you have more than one, maybe having an online account where you can store a backup of your installed packages would be a good idea. Maybe you could use the account on the Linux Mint Community? Maybe it could be used for synchronizing other things as well, such as settings for various parts of the GUI or something?

I envisage something like Dropbox / Firefox Sync / Ubuntu One.

Maybe when you install Mint as well, it could access your account and download the packages that you had installed before.
Latest comments
RayWoods 7 years ago

As "Sync software selection with Mint account" was rejected, so I will reject this idea as well. Sorry...

New > Rejected

DJCrashdummy 8 years ago

seems to be nearly the same idea:
Sync software selection with Mint account

remoulder 9 years ago

@CBindahouse: You would have to store the backed up settings someplace then on the 2nd computer install ubuntu tweak, copy the backup files to the right place and restore the backup. This would have to be done manually.

CBindahouse 9 years ago

Fair enough, I did not realise this functionality existed! Cheers for the heads-up.

However, can you automatically synchronise data across two computers? That would be quite useful.

remoulder 9 years ago

The latest version of ubuntu tweak can backup application, desktop and system settings. By default these are stored in ~/.config/ubuntu-tweak/desktoprecovery, it should be relatively easy to sync this folder on ubuntuone or dropbox.